Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How much do colleges look at senior GPA?

wertyuioqpwertyuioqp Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
edited October 2011 in College Admissions
Well, long story short, I screwed up my high school grades, and I'm a senior.
UW GPA: 3.0
Weighted GPA: 3.5.

If I can manage to keep my GPA at 4.0+ this year, how would colleges see it? I know most admissions are done before the end of first semester, so it's probably not that important, but i need to know exactly how having such a GPA by the time colleges examine my senior year GPA would help me, if at all.

Thanks for the time.
Post edited by wertyuioqp on

Replies to: How much do colleges look at senior GPA?

• RedSevenRedSeven Registered User Posts: 1,665 Senior Member
    Upward trends are looked upon favorably.

Generally, getting good grades all four years is ideal. However, having an upward trend can help make up for getting some bad grades early on.

Your low GPA will hurt you, but doing well senior year will be worth your time, as colleges tend to care most about your most recent performance.
  • wertyuioqpwertyuioqp Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    thank you for your reply. I have shown an upward trend: sophomore year, i had a 3.17 weighted GPA.
    then junior year, i had a 3.77 weighted.

if i can keep my 4.5 weighted GPA, will that, along with my sat score of 2110, be able to land me in Purdue University?
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,134 Super Moderator
    Your mid-term senior year grades may be enough to push you in. Both SAT and GPA are rated important but only 6% of enrolled students have lower than a 3.0. Common Data Set - Purdue University
This discussion has been closed.