Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Continuing with spanish vs taking latin 1?

strilkstrilk Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited February 2012 in College Admissions
I can choose between continuing with spanish(level 5) and taking latin 1. I'm very very interested in latin, but not really in spanish. (I'm somewhat interested in spanish, but not nearly as much as I am in latin.)

I don't want to potentially damage my college apps by quitting spanish for an intro to latin, though. Should I be worrying about this? I really do want to pursue my interests and be authentic, but not at the expense of my college applications. I can always study on my own if necessary.
Post edited by strilk on

Replies to: Continuing with spanish vs taking latin 1?

• exultationsyexultationsy Registered User Posts: 1,100 Senior Member
    If you were asking this after 2 or maybe 3 years of Spanish, I'd say do more Spanish. But 4 years is enough to show commitment, so feel free to take Latin. (In that it's not much different than quitting Spanish to take economics or whatever.) Go for it.

Bonam fortunam!
  • strilkstrilk Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Can I have someone else comment on whether this is true? Not that I don't trust exultationsy, but I just want to make sure.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,737 Senior Member
    Take Latin.
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    The most colleges recommend is 4 yrs of a FL. Since you've done that it's fine to take Latin.
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 10,130 Senior Member
    At many colleges you can place out of a foreign language requirement if you've completed enough in HS. Check to see whether this applies at the schools you want, if if it does whether you already have enough. If you do, then I'd suggest taking Latin.
  • latinisfunlatinisfun Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    Go for Latin! I'm in Latin 3 now...it's a great language that will likely enhance your understanding of Spanish and English (even if you don't continue Spanish courses).
  • YaleGradandDadYaleGradandDad Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    You should take foreign language each of your four years which you are doing. If you start a language in middle school and complete level 4 as a junior and don't take language as a senior, that is inadvisable. As for switching to Latin you may find that some colleges require more than Spanish 4 proficiency to complete language requirements. If you want to take Latin or some other foreign language in college, then by all means do the switch now if that is your interest.
This discussion has been closed.