Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Drama/Musical Theatre major resume questions?

MusicalGuardMusicalGuard Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited February 2012 in College Admissions
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I fully intend to apply to colleges and go into a musical theatre or drama major. I've begun to type up mock-resumes, but I've been having some trouble; I have plenty of choral/vocal performance accreditations because I've been in it for years and years. Unfortunately, because of scheduling conflicts, I so far only have four drama/theatrical performances under my belt. Before my senior year, I plan to be able to have about ten performances for drama/theatre. Is that enough to put on to a resume? Or am I going to need to look into seriously correcting scheduling mistakes? (which I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to do.)

Basically, how many theatre/drama performances do you recommend having for a resume? (If it helps, some of the schools I've been looking at are JMU, Fordham, Carnegie Mellon, etc.) Thanks so much for input!
Post edited by MusicalGuard on

Replies to: Drama/Musical Theatre major resume questions?

• T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    As much as reasonable. Look, they realize you're a HS student. It's not as if you were selling yourself to a booking agent in NYC or LA. Frankly, if you wanted to diversify your resume with a job at McDonalds or volunteering at a senior home or library -- it wouldn't kill you either.

Colleges don't expect applicants to be laser-focused robots -- ready for the job market. That's why you should be going to college.Being multi-dimensional with a stated prefrence for "theater" (not drama) is fine.

Everyone I know in theater/acting are very interesting people -- with broad backgrounds. Not just a stage rat from infancy. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.