Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Scores vs. Grades

100point0swag100point0swag Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited February 2012 in College Admissions
Essentially, if you were given only one of these options, which one would you consider the more important of the two?
An A in the class and a 4 on the AP Exam, or a B in the class and a 5 on the AP Exam?
Post edited by 100point0swag on

Replies to: AP Scores vs. Grades

• LaggingLagging Registered User Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    I'd think an A and a 4. 4s and 5s are both good scores and acceptable to most colleges. GPA is usually more important than AP test scores
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,636 Senior Member
    Get an A in the course and a 5 on the test so you don't have to worry about that.

For admissions, A in the course. For college credit, 5 on the test.
  • stephaniealflstephaniealfl Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    B in the class and a 5 on the exam, in my opinion. Colleges know that every teacher grades differently; some are harder than others or easier. On the AP exam everything is the same...it's more fair.
  • DreadpiritDreadpirit Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    I would say the A and 4 is slightly better.

The problem with getting a B (in almost all schools) is that it doesn't show that you are willing to put in the effort day in day out in the class.

The 5 show that you can master the material when you feel like it, but the B might say that you don't always feel like it.

Throw this analysis out the window if your HS is one where nobody gets straight A's. In that case I would say its a toss up between A/4, B/5.
This discussion has been closed.