Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will my class rank at the very least put my foot through the door?

JuvenisJuvenis Registered User Posts: 853 Member
edited June 2012 in College Admissions
I know for a fact that I'm in the top 10%, but idk exactly where. I also know that I'm not below the 5% either, so I'm somewhere between 5-10. Assuming that I'm in the top 10% only, is that good enough for top 20 schools? (disregarding HYPS)
Post edited by Juvenis on

Replies to: Will my class rank at the very least put my foot through the door?

• magentaturtlemagentaturtle Registered User Posts: 1,138 Senior Member
    Rank isn't everything
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,688 Senior Member
    "Assuming that I'm in the top 10% only, is that good enough for top 20 schools? "

Rank is not important to many top colleges. In fact, about 50% of applicants to top colleges come from HS's that dont rank their students.
    GPA, standardized test scores, EC's, essays, LORs are all much more important than rank.
  • JuvenisJuvenis Registered User Posts: 853 Member
    Really? Thanks, that's a relief. I once heard that everyone who is competitive is at the top 1%
  • Seahawks506Seahawks506 Registered User Posts: 2,526 Senior Member
    Depends on how competitive the school you come from is. Some schools typically send students to top-20 caliber schools even if they're 40/400. Others rarely send even their sal to a top-20 school. Your GC should probably know where you and your school stand in this regard. But just getting your foot in the door (don't put your foot *through* the door, that would be painful) doesn't mean much for acceptances at schools with under 20% admit rates. You also need competitive SAT scores and solid essays/recommendations/etc.
  • JuvenisJuvenis Registered User Posts: 853 Member
    Thanks! lol yeah I'm not that good with idioms :P When I said "put my foot IN the door" I meant am I off to a decent start.
This discussion has been closed.