Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How much does race matter for selective unviersities?

SwagdoeSwagdoe Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited June 2012 in College Admissions
How much does race matter in ivies, MIT/Cal tech, etc.?

I heard that people of over-represented races have lower admission chances. I am an Asian by ethnicity, and am a US born citizen. Should I not declare my race, declare my race, or lie? (The last one might be illegal, so I don't think its a good idea.)
Post edited by Swagdoe on

Replies to: How much does race matter for selective unviersities?

• magentaturtlemagentaturtle Registered User Posts: 1,138 Senior Member
    Either check Asian or don't check anything. If admissions finds out though, it could be a turn off because they might feel as if you're hiding information from them to gain an "advantage".

I am Asian myself and also believe that as an over-represented minority, admission chances are in fact lowered.

Don't let anyone tell you that race doesn't matter, because it certainly does.
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,662 Senior Member
    Marking race and/or ethnicity on college applications is optional, the choice is up to you.

Moderator Note:

Questions and comments about the definitions of race/ethnicity used in college admissions are permissible on this forum.

However, comments about AA belong on the Race FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum.

[Additional moderator edit: The current FAQ thread

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1366406-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-10-a.html

is open for discussion during the 2012-2013 admission season. Read the FAQ posts at the beginning of the thread carefully, following the links as needed to external sites, and then ask any follow-up questions you have as replies in that thread.]
This discussion has been closed.