Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

"Race" in College Admission FAQ & Discussion 10

Replies to: "Race" in College Admission FAQ & Discussion 10

• HelpChristianityHelpChristianity Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    but Syria is in the Middle Eastern, so concluding to USA federal laws, Syria is a white country with White people. Pakistan is a white country, but the photos from Google says the Pakistan people's skin is more close to Indians' skin. Also ideologies from these countries are so big. What is the ideology of Dutch people(work, learn, study) and the ideology of Syrian people(only war , ak-47, suicide bomb, Allah akhbar). Middle East is so different with Europe. Even Bulgaria which is very very close with Turkey. Turkey is from Middle East.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    Pakistan is a white country

This is a misunderstanding. By the federal definitions, people from Pakistan are "Asian." Oddly, there are ethnic groups that span both sides of the common border between Pakistan and Iran. People from Iran are called "white," but people from Pakistan are called "Asian." Read, read, and reread the FAQ posts at the beginning of this growing thread. All the links you need to the official definitions can be found in those posts. The Census Bureau itself says the definitions are political, not scientific, and we should take the government's word for that.
  • wilsun007wilsun007 Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    Is diversity about skin color, or culture?

Maybe we need to stop looking at race as a statistic or quota, and evaluate holistically--how it's affected the applicant. If it hasn't affected the life of the applicant in some way that makes him special, that makes him a valuable contributor to "diversity", then colleges are only admitting a token minority, not creating true diversity, but merely a showcase of skin colors.
  • amarkovamarkov Registered User Posts: 2,288 Senior Member
    Nobody can make it through 18 years without being affected by race, though. A middle class suburban white kid and a middle class suburban black kid probably don't have all that many cultural differences, but their lives are quite a bit different.
  • terencterenc Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Syria was the last French colony, but they are not WHITE and you can see them on TV, killing each other like any other terrorists
    but Syria is in the Middle Eastern, so concluding to USA federal laws, Syria is a white country with White people. Pakistan is a white country, but the photos from Google says the Pakistan people's skin is more close to Indians' skin. Also ideologies from these countries are so big. What is the ideology of Dutch people(work, learn, study) and the ideology of Syrian people(only war , ak-47, suicide bomb, Allah akhbar). Middle East is so different with Europe. Even Bulgaria which is very very close with Turkey. Turkey is from Middle East.

This is either a **** or a deeply ignorant poster with a seriously misguided (if not nonexistent) world view.
  • joseph95joseph95 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Personally, I think they have to do away with AA. There's no need for reparations anymore and all it does now is bastardize the legitimacy and objectivity of the admissions process. There's no reason why a black or native american student should have any advantage over a white student, and for those who say "we need diversity", there's nothing particularly GOOD about diversity. And it's not worth denying better students admission to preserve this precious diversity. One may also wonder why Jews, who are among the smallest minorities in the world and have endured more discrimination than any other race (including in America, where a holistic admissions system was adopted specifically to reduce the number of Jews in Ivy League colleges), are not included in preferential college admissions.
  • mokusatsumokusatsu Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    Jews, who are among the smallest minorities in the world and have endured more discrimination than any other race (including in America
    Are you taking US History this year?
  • amarkovamarkov Registered User Posts: 2,288 Senior Member
    There's no reason why a black or native american student should have any advantage over a white student. There's also no reason why a white student should have any advantage over a black or native american student, but they do in the absence of affirmative action programs.
  • HelpChristianityHelpChristianity Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    Usually the black people or the native Americans don't have good education. These universities are trying to motivate and learn citizens of America to understand the power of education.
  • joseph95joseph95 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Then shouldn't AA favor the financially disadvantaged, regardless of race, rather than just certain ethnic demographics? It doesn't make sense. Also amarkov, I would love to hear how whites have advantages over blacks nowadays in absence of AA
  • aceshigh1aceshigh1 Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    Should I mark White or White and Asian??

Hi, I am was born and raised in America to a white father and a Chinese mother. So I have a white last name which can hide my Asian heritage.

We all know that Asians get discriminated against in the application process, because of the stereotypical "Asian genius".

I was wondering should I put White on the application or just check White and Asian.
    There is no "Other" box for the Common App.

I really don't associate to my Chinese relatives, all of them mostly live in China and I only see them once every few years, and I speak a little bit of Chinese. I honestly consider myself more white than I do Asian.

However on the application process, if I put White I know that it will be slightly easier to get in. However if I put White and Asian, they might consider me for a minority scholarship.

Any advice please?

BTW, my SAT scores aren't that great I got an 1820. My GPA (unweighted) is around 3.8 or 3.9 and my weighted GPA is 4.2.
  • aceshigh1aceshigh1 Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    ^^^Would not putting anything be more beneficial? Would I still be able to apply for an Asian minority scholarship?
This discussion has been closed.