Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How much emphasis is placed on freshman and sophomore year grades?

FutureDoctor31FutureDoctor31 Registered User Posts: 663 Member
edited August 2012 in College Admissions
F-Year (Catholic school. Widely known and appreciated in the Philadelphia area):
English I: B
World History I: B
Algebra I: C
Physical Science: C
French I: A
Music: A
Theology I: C

S-Year (Switched from Catholic school to low achieving, low performance PA high school ranked worst in the state):
English II: A or B
Spanish II: B
Geometry: B
Chemistry: A
Health/Gym: A
American History: B

J-Year (Went back to same Catholic school):
Theology III: A (Was tied for the highest final grade in the entire junior class)
World History II: A
French II: A
Biology: A
Algebra II: B
English III: B
Music: A

Senior year schedule: (Leaving Catholic school again; different district with better HS):
AP English
AP Calculus or Honors calculus
AP Chemistry or Anatomy
AP Econ (If offered)
...and I don't know any other courses I will take at this new school, but I will take more.

So as you can see, there's been a huge upward trend in my grades. My freshman year was terrible because I was educated in that terrible district from grades 1-8. I'm worried that my grades might not be high enough for these colleges:

Penn State-University Park
University of Delaware
University of Maryland-College Park
Temple University
UConn
UGA
...and possibly more soon.

My SAT's were dismal too (1430/2400) even though I'm confident I can get them up to at least a 1700. I'm just worried and would like at least a little peace of mind. Please tell me if these grades are going to affect my chances of getting into my 6 top choice colleges!
Post edited by FutureDoctor31 on

Replies to: How much emphasis is placed on freshman and sophomore year grades?

• wilsun007wilsun007 Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    I think you need to worry more about your SAT. Your grades aren't out of the ballpark bad, only a bit low in your freshman year. I think they would be willing to overlook it.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,915 Super Moderator
    Practice for the SAT. Also look at what your family can afford. You would be full pay at OOS publics: UDel, UMCP, UConn, UGA.
  • FutureDoctor31FutureDoctor31 Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    I'm in a College Bound group, and since the head of my group is neighbors with the CEO of Campus Apartments, my room and board will be payed off at UMCP, UConn, and UGA. Additionally, I would get to live in these Campus Apartments all four years of college! Because of this College Bound group, I also have access to SAT prep courses for free, so I will definitely do that! Thanks for your response!
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,915 Super Moderator
    Campus Apts will possibly provide room but you'll still need to provide board (buy groceries). I hope you have that deal in writing. BTW, that part of the cost is generally in the $10K range. The highest cost is usually tuition, particularly OOS.
This discussion has been closed.