Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where to begin?

Ji000OOJi000OO Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited September 2012 in College Admissions
So first college experience did not go well. I attended a top art school right out of a regular public high school. College started great! School work, meeting people, party. Then school really settled in and things were different than what I thought. [Before attending the school I did ask alumni and current students at the time, what to expect from the school: environment, professors, students. Anyway maybe my questions at the time were too vague.] It's an art school, there's actually more work load, meaning you not only have to deal with the academic but also your studio work time. Not that I did not do the work, it was just different for me. Environment was different too, I never really identified with a group. Eventually when workload piled on, there was A LOT to do. Still I was stubborn and did not want to give up.

My last semester at school, I worked my butt off and it showed! That I have the skills and drive to do what needed to be done. However, by then I was also drained. After three years at the school which felt like it got me nowhere, I asked the school for time off which was just around the same time when they said yes, you need time off but also we are letting you go.

It's about to be exactly three years to date since I dropped out of school. During which I have done some traveling, working, and meeting people: some very successful; others: have not had any advancement (in work or personally) for the past 4,5 years. I do not want to be, that. Influenced by work, it got me thinking that maybe art school is not the greatest idea. Maybe psychology, not in the clinical term but in helping better management position, would be more lucrative solution to where I want to get in life. My question is, where/how to start?
[I am in the nyc area, it would be great to stay around here]
Post edited by Ji000OO on

Replies to: Where to begin?

• amarkovamarkov Registered User Posts: 2,288 Senior Member
    As someone older than the average college student, it's very important that you have a well-defined plan for your education. The correct college choice depends heavily on what fits into your plan.

So let's figure out what your plan is. You say you want to do psychology "in helping better management position". What's that like? Are there lots of jobs in that field? What qualifications will you need? How will you pay for the necessary education?

e:
    I just realized that what you probably meant is "I want to get a psychology degree and then find a management position to use it in". That is... not a great plan. Management positions are usually filled either through connections or within the ranks of the company; it's very rare that someone will just go post a management job on monster.com or whatever.
  • Ji000OOJi000OO Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you for your response. I do understand that management position are usually risen in ranking. What I actually mean is that since I've been working in the mental health field it has made me think maybe something in this field can be possible. Even if that field turns out to not be my choice, I was thinking that I can possibly apply psychology towards working in human resources, or marketing, working up towards management.

So where do I start? Given my school record, would I need to re-take SATs? Or better to start classes at a CC or another college?
  • amarkovamarkov Registered User Posts: 2,288 Senior Member
    If you've taken three years of college classes, you probably will not qualify as a freshman admit in most places. If those classes aren't already sufficient to let you transfer in as a junior-level student, you should take the rest of the classes you need at a CC. SAT scores are not generally required for transfer students.

In addition, make sure to plan out how you're going to pay for this. Keep in mind that there is a cap on the total number of terms you qualify for federal financial aid, so depending on how things work out you may not have it available all the way.
  • Ji000OOJi000OO Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you for your response again.

One big issue for me is that most of my credits are art related, I will have to ask someone at a school what my options are. What worries me now more than money is, if I do apply as a tranfer student (given my past school record), how can I make myself look more presentable for the future school(s)?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,013 Senior Member
    Since you are currently employed, you should talk with your supervisors and others in the positions that you aspire to and ask about their educational backgrounds. Is a BA/BS enough, or do you need to plan on getting an MA/MS in the field? Which colleges and universities within commuting distance offer the programs that will lead to the job you want?

Then, make appointments with the transfer admissions officers at the community colleges, and 4-year institutions that offer your projected program. Bring in a copy of your ugly old transcript, and find out what your options look like. Ask which classes are likely to transfer, and what kind of credit you can get. Perhaps some of the studio credits will cover some general ed requirements. Find out whether you need any letters of recommendation or not, and who can write them for you. Often letters from supervisors are acceptable for non-traditional students.

Once you've spoken with the admissions people at two or three different places, you will have a much better handle on things.

Wishing you all the best.
This discussion has been closed.