Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Living Off-Campus Freshman Year?

FutureDoctor31FutureDoctor31 Registered User Posts: 663 Member
edited October 2012 in College Admissions
I have a special living arrangement deal with Campus Apartments. Due to a special deal with them by my College Bound group, if I chose a college with Campus Apartments near it, I'll get to live there for all four years for free! Maybe even eight if they let me live in them for free during my med school years. These apartments include EVERYTHING! They have tons of amenities, the utilities are paid off, I can bring my car to whichever campus since they have a free parking garage, and all of them aren't too far away from campus! If I chose to go to University of Maryland, University of Connecticut, University of Georgia, or University of Central Florida, I'll reap the benefits. Here are the links to see what each Campus Apartment looks like:

University of Connecticut Student Housing Portfolio Provides Off Campus Apartments For Students Of University of Connecticut In Mansfield, Connecticut (UConn)

Mazza Grandmarc, Maryland Apartments - University of Maryland Apartments - Student Housing (UMD-CP)

Athens, Georgia Apartments - University of Georgia Apartments - Campus Crossings At Abbey West - Off Campus Student Housing - Campus Apartments (UGA)

Orlando, Florida Apartments - Campus Crossings at Alafaya - University of Central Florida, Seminole Community College - Student Housing (UCF)
OR
Orlando, Florida Apartments - University of Central Florida - College Station - Student Housing (UCF)

By living in these apartments for free, not only will I enjoy a luxurious 4+ years, but I will also save tens of thousands of dollars. The only thing I'm worried about is not really having a social life with all the other freshmen. You don't get that typical bonding experience with other freshmen living off-campus. So what would you do if you were me? Would you live in the apartment or in a dorm?

P.S. I know that they're a ton of other "Living off-campus freshman year" questions, but my situation is special. A lot of those people either have no choice due to a shortage of campus housing, or a request from their parents to live off campus. I have a choice of living at a spacious, off-campus location, or dorming my freshman year.
Post edited by FutureDoctor31 on

Replies to: Living Off-Campus Freshman Year?

• NaturallymepcNaturallymepc Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Don't be ridiculous, take the free apartment! You'll meet people and have friends and you can hang out in their dorm rooms. Take the freebie.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,430 Senior Member
    It does look like these apartments are marketed mainly to students at the respective college campuses, so it is not like there won't be students around where you live. If they are free and convenient to campus and whatever social activities interest you, then why pay more?

Does the deal include any other of their apartments (they seem to manage a lot of places around a lot more college campuses than the ones you listed: Campus Apartments - Off Campus Student Housing )?
  • FutureDoctor31FutureDoctor31 Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    @ucbalumnus It doesn't matter which college I go to, as long as they have Campus Apartments, I'll get a free apartment!

I think I was overreacting the other day. I'm just going to the the free, luxurious apartment. An apartment like this would make my years at college much more enjoyable :)
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,430 Senior Member
    I wouldn't limit the college search to colleges with those free apartments, but consider the free apartments as a cost advantage when comparing costs (although some colleges without the free apartments could still end up being cheaper).
  • Pennylane2011Pennylane2011 Registered User Posts: 2,716 Senior Member
    Futuredoctor, I agree with ucbalumnus that although free housing is great, limiting your college search to only those locations may not help your attend the college that fits you best or is the best financial option. State universities can be very competitive and costly for out of state students. Your in-state state colleges are your best chances of admission and financial fit. As a pre-med, doing well where you are is more important than where you are. Containing costs is important too. Medical school debt on top of undergraduate debt is crushing. Do not count on having unlimited funds as a doctor in the era of insurance/government regulations. You can expect a decent salary, but large debt is a burden- that takes time to repay- at the same time you may be thinking of starting a family and buying a home.
    Also, wherever you are, you have to factor in transportation costs and other expenses- car maintenance, gasoline, insurance. Living off campus means you have to get to school, park ( not so easy at some schools), get groceries, shop, cook.
    As a Pennsylvania resident you have access to a large number of state schools and excellent private schools. Campus Apartments have locations in Lancaster and Philadelphia, but don't restrict your search to just these. There are many many state and private schools in your state that would be excellent for pre-med- Drexel, Temple, University of the Sciences- and state options all over the state. Many of these are comparable to the out of state options you have mentioned. Some schools have in state scholarships and grants that cover the cost of attendance for students with financial need. This includes living on campus, mentorship, and other amenities. When you live on campus you don't need transportation, and have the social benefits of being right there with other students. A rent-free apartment won't cover food, entertainment, and transportation costs.
    You seem like a qualified applicant for some of your in-state public options, and you could be missing the boat on opportunities by making the free apartments a priority. Apply to the schools if you wish, but your long term success for med school depends on fit and finances.
This discussion has been closed.