Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should you not include extracurriculars that throw off the "focus" of your app?

HaletonfordHaletonford Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
edited October 2012 in College Admissions
If all of your extracurriculars are following a certain theme, should you not include an EC that doesn't follow the same theme? What I'm asking is, let's say you declare 3 academic interests and you have 3 extracurriculars that clearly match that interest, but there is a 4th one that you have been doing for a really long time but it doesn't clearly correlate to those 3 interests. Should you not include that 4th one?
Post edited by Haletonford on

Replies to: Should you not include extracurriculars that throw off the "focus" of your app?

• BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Registered User Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    Don't over-think this. If it is something you have spent significant time on then include it!
  • mitchklongmitchklong Registered User Posts: 813 Member
    I would worry less about theme then on accomplishment. You want to include activities where you have shined and ones you have invested your effort.

I do like the idea of focusing on a few though. If you add too many ECs it looks like you were just trying to collect letter pins.
  • SikorskySikorsky Registered User Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    I have no idea where this notion comes from that an applicant's extracurricular activities must "match" his or her academic interests. After all, they're called extracurricular for a reason.

Do the things that interest you, and do them as well as you can. Then tell colleges what you did, and what you learned or accomplished by doing it.
This discussion has been closed.