right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should you not include extracurriculars that throw off the "focus" of your app?

HaletonfordHaletonford 52 replies45 threads Junior Member
edited October 2012 in College Admissions
If all of your extracurriculars are following a certain theme, should you not include an EC that doesn't follow the same theme? What I'm asking is, let's say you declare 3 academic interests and you have 3 extracurriculars that clearly match that interest, but there is a 4th one that you have been doing for a really long time but it doesn't clearly correlate to those 3 interests. Should you not include that 4th one?
edited October 2012
3 replies
Post edited by Haletonford on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should you not include extracurriculars that throw off the "focus" of your app?

• BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl 2721 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Don't over-think this. If it is something you have spent significant time on then include it!
    · Reply · Share
  • mitchklongmitchklong 785 replies28 threads Member
    I would worry less about theme then on accomplishment. You want to include activities where you have shined and ones you have invested your effort.

I do like the idea of focusing on a few though. If you add too many ECs it looks like you were just trying to collect letter pins.
    · Reply · Share
  • SikorskySikorsky 5745 replies106 threads Senior Member
    I have no idea where this notion comes from that an applicant's extracurricular activities must "match" his or her academic interests. After all, they're called extracurricular for a reason.

Do the things that interest you, and do them as well as you can. Then tell colleges what you did, and what you learned or accomplished by doing it.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity