Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I sumbit my SAT Scores?

LizLemon30LizLemon30 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
Loyola of Maryland is SAT optional. I have a 3.7 GPA. I have lots of extracurriculars, sports, honors, awards, etc. However, my SAT Scores are 1500. Should I submit them?
Post edited by LizLemon30 on

Replies to: Should I sumbit my SAT Scores?

• BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Registered User Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    1500 for CR+M+W? Then NO.
    or 1500 for CR+M? Then YES.
    If you don't send SAT scores, do you need to send any supplemental materials?
  • DAlvarezssDAlvarezss Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    I think you should.
  • LizLemon30LizLemon30 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    YES,I have a 1500 for CR+M+W. I am taking my SATs again this Saturday, but my new scores wont come on time. If i DONT send my SATs, i have to submit an extra essay/teacher recc.
    So should I send them?
  • muckdogs07muckdogs07 Registered User Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    I suggest hold off on sending the SATs (your score is below Loyola's 25th percentile in 2011 per Alan Grove's web site) until after you retake and instead submitting the extra essay and teacher rec. Good luck!
    Here's a quote from their website:
    "...But for others, who feel their SAT I or ACT scores do not accurately represent an otherwise exceptional academic record, we believe a challenging high school curriculum and their strong performance in those classes give us the information we need to make a fair assessment of the contributions they would bring to Loyola.”
    They are practically begging you not to submit those scores!

Furthermore, for the students who do submit SAT, the middle 50% of enrolling students scored between 1120 and 1290 (combined reading and math score). Your scores seem pretty low compared to that and compared to your GPA.
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,658 Senior Member
    Here is their 25:50 SAT range:

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/loyola-university-maryland?searchType=bf_site&q=&bf_cat=bf_

So unless your subsections are very lopsided to favor CR + M, I'd also advise not to send.

x-posted w/BTG
  • LizLemon30LizLemon30 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Loyola sent me their Advantage Application, due November 15. Does this mean I have a better chance of gaining acceptance?...or should I just sumbit RD in January, after retaking SAT Scores. My same situation is with Fordham University. They sent me their "Your Choice" Application. However, I do have to send my SAT Scores. Should I just apply to Fordham in January, after retaking my SATs, or should I take my chances applying EA, with their specialized application?
    I think you should do the Advantage Application at Loyola and NOT send in your scores.

Fordham's Your Choice is sent to anyone on their mailing list. It is not considered differently than a regular application. Here 's the FAQ:
    http://www.fordham.edu/images/admissions/your%20choice%20faqs.pdf
    The advantage only seems to be a fee waiver. I think you should wait, though I don't know how much you should expect to see your scores go up.

Have you considered adding any other test optional scores to your list?
    SAT/ACT Optional 4-Year Universities | FairTest
  • justblewitjustblewit Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    I would not submit your SAT scores, it seems like it's going to hurt your application. I would do the additional essay and get a great LOR. I'm not quite sure of Layola's specific admission requirements but 1500 is very low to be a competitive applicant at most "good schools."
This discussion has been closed.