Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Accepting an Offer of Admission

knoxisawesome348knoxisawesome348 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
I posted this on the UT-Austin page, but I want a more definite and clear answer.

I was accepted to the University of Texas at Austin through automatic acceptance yesterday. However, I do not yet know my major because I applied to engineering which is a more competitive school within UT. So I definitely have a place, at the very least, in the General Undergraduate Studies department.

My main question is if I accept my offer of admission, will I be bound to attend? My parents and I have gotten in an argument about it and they believe that I should accept it RIGHT NOW even though I don't know my major (and I have not yet finished applying to other schools). Also if I did accept, what benefit if any, would I get? Will I have a better chance at getting into the school of engineering? I know I have until May 1st, so why should I accept right now? My mom is telling me my rationale is wrong, but I don't believe it to be so.
Post edited by knoxisawesome348 on

Replies to: Accepting an Offer of Admission

  • johnnyzxzjohnnyzxz Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    People over there already answered you..

    Cockrell will look at your profile regardless of when you accept to come.
    There is literally NO benefit whatsoever in telling them you're coming now - maybe in terms of housing, as I don't know about that, but I know for a FACT your admissions chances to Cockrell will always be the same.
  • drusbadrusba Registered User Posts: 9,149 Senior Member
    As to accepting now, you would not be bound to attend and could just withdraw your acceptance by May 1. As to whether it makes any difference, the answer above is likely correct but what I do not know and what you must check is Texas' process for awarding housing. There are colleges that award housing in order of housing applications received and you cannot apply for housing until you have accepted admission. The result is that the earlier you accept and get your housing application in the higher the chance you will get your preferred choice of housing. Other colleges award housing on a random system after May 1 and thus there is no disadvantage to waiting. Thus, you should find out what Texas does in relation to housing in deciding whether you should accept admission now or later.
  • knoxisawesome348knoxisawesome348 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I was mainly just asking again for reassurance and I agree 100% with you guys. My parents are just being very stubborn about this for some reason and I needed to feel more assured that I wasn't crazy. I'm not at all certain why they want me to accept admission right now.
  • OperaDadOperaDad Registered User Posts: 2,476 Senior Member
    Are you applying to other schools? If not, why wait?

    You are never "bound" to attend, even if you do accept. A lot of kids fail to "matriculate" - attend school in the fall after accepting an offer of admissions. Schools take that into account when making offers (accept 200 kids for 100 spots knowing that many won't accept, and of those that accept, a few will fail to attend).

    You may, or may not, loose your deposit if you do not withdraw by May 1 and fail to matriculate. That is the only downside.

    If you are applying to other schools, then you are better off waiting. No need to remember to withdraw if you decide to attend another school.
  • MomofaLonghornMomofaLonghorn Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    What's the harm in accepting the offer, but continuing your search? I agree with the post above in regard to housing application, etc. If your parents dont' mind paying the the deposit money and possibly forfeiting it should you decided to go elsewhere, I don't see that you have anything to lose...unless you are simply unsure that you want to attend UT. JMHO
This discussion has been closed.