Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it bad not to take math for 2 years?

2»

Replies to: Is it bad not to take math for 2 years?

• cimmoresquecimmoresque Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    there are a few at the non-TJ fairfax schools, actually - I know there are students at Westfield, Chantilly, Centreville, and Oakton who are taking Multivariable.
  • TetragrammatonTetragrammaton Registered User Posts: 392 Member
    But TJ is the only school where it's not too uncommon to find freshmen taking BC Calc. I'd say about half of TJ grads have MultiVar/Linear experience, and a good number have taken even higher classes (Differential Equations, Complex Variables, and Numerical Analysis).

I'm betting that without TJ's numbers, Fairfax schools wouldn't stand out.
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    I know in Montgomery County there are over 30 people this year taking multivariable calculus at both Wootton and Whitman. I assume numbers for other schools in the area such as Churchill and WJ are similar. It is not just Blair and TJ.
  • HazhulkhenHazhulkhen Registered User Posts: 644 Member
    Not just, but the vast majority.
  • bobbobbobbobbobbob Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    might i suggest ap stat or ap calc bc...

colleges want you to be good all around, not just in one field.
  • BingColdBingCold Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    thanks for posts!
  • eulenspiegeleulenspiegel . Posts: 586 Member
    Stanford has decided to require economics majors to take multivariable calculus / linear algebra as a prerequisite to economics courses after the beginning two quarter sequence. This includes the econ policy types, not just the mathematical economics types.

Of course, its possible to take the BC-level course as a first term freshman and not be behind, except that you may be in a course with sandbaggers who have already been exposed to BC or didn't get a high enough grade on the AP exam.
2»
This discussion has been closed.