Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Would it be bad not to take Calculus senior year?

2»

Replies to: Would it be bad not to take Calculus senior year?

• agreatperhapsagreatperhaps - Posts: 596 Member
    But would it hurt my college chances to take stats instead of calc?
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,933 Senior Member
    There isn't a quick answer to your question whether it will hurt your apps not to have Calc. If you were to take it, and for instance, repeat a grade like a 71 for fall senior year -- taking it and doing poorly will hurt your applications. If you don't take it senior year, and take, for instance, Stats and do well, that will look much better than another bad math grade on your transcript.

As a parent, I know plenty of kids admitted to great schools (top 25) who did not have Calc as seniors -- they were humanities kids and had a high school curriculum that reflected their interests. Some took Stats on the rationale that, in social sciences, that would be part of their college course of study. Others didn't get past Pre-calc Honors. My son spent two days in Calc AB in the beginning of senior year, said he knew it would be a disaster for him so he switched into IB Math SL which has a semester of Statistics and a semester of Calc. Did fine, moved at a good pace, and did not kill his fall gpa when he was still working to show a strong upward trend in his grades.

SO, in the abstract, you cannot say whether not having Calc will hurt you -- it depends on what you take instead and how you do in the replacement class. As you don't sound like you need Calc to be part of the story about your academic interests, you want to take the class you can excel in.
  • SpaceDuckSpaceDuck Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    Unless the school says in it's suggested course preparation that you have math THROUGH calculus, I would say no, it would not hurt you.

My advice? Take calculus. Regardless of college admissions, it would be a good thing to have learned if you have the chance to in high school.

If you feel AP Statistics is more relevant to what you want to take, then go right ahead and take it, don't do Calc for college admissions.
  • polarscribepolarscribe Registered User Posts: 3,232 Senior Member
    I've never so much as taken precalc or trig in my entire academic career, and it's never been a hindrance, nor have I ever felt like I'm missing anything. Math has never been my strong suit and there's no sense beating one's head against the wall unnecessarily.

If you're planning to major in political science/communications, calculus simply is not needed, and statistics will come into play much more often.
  • LonghaulLonghaul Registered User Posts: 2,744 Senior Member
    My HS senior son has friends who opted to not take a senior Math (they all completed up to at least Pre-Calc/Trig), are not applying in a STEM and they all have acceptances from schools in the 50-100 US News list. Just be sure to take at least 4 full year academic courses or do an internship. In our area, all the local newspapers and the "big" news radio station offer internships or writing.
  • SikorskySikorsky Registered User Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    In 2010-11, my daughter, who planned to major in international relations, opted to take AP Statistics instead of calculus, with my blessing and encouragement. She got into several universities ranked in USNWR from about 30 to about 75, with grades and test scores that were appropriate for the universities she applied to. She got hefty merit scholarships at some of them.

I don't think having taken statistics instead of calculus made any difference.
  • nightmelodynightmelody Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Hi. Should I take Calculus at a community college through Running Start or AP Stats (at my high school) senior year? I'll have finished AP BC Calc this year. As of now, I'm interested in majoring in Computer Science most likely with pre-med, so based on previous posts, I should do calculus, right? Are there any disadvantages to doing that?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,097 Senior Member
    If you have finished AP calculus BC, then you should look at taking the next level of college math (linear algebra, differential equations, and/or multivariable calculus). Check the community college for placement recommendations.
    Ok, I'll do that. Thanks for the quick reply!
    Yo, nightmelody, you want to, I don't know, make your own thread?
  • SpaceDuckSpaceDuck Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    ^ chill out, that person already got their question answered.
    Sorry, but it's beyond annoying when people post their problems on someone else's thread
    agreatperhaps: I apologize. While this is no excuse, though I have been looking at the forums on CC for awhile, I am still very new to posting questions/comments. If this has offended you, I am sincerely sorry. I promise that next time I post a question, I will double check if it is appropriate for the thread and start a new one if need be.
This discussion has been closed.