Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Would I rather take music junior year?

calvind77calvind77 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited February 2013 in College Admissions
I am currently a sophomore, and I play currently play drums for the school jazz band. I love playing drums, but I am thinking of dropping jazz band in order to take more classes specific to my magnet high school such as quantum physics. I have to take jazz band in order to audition for County Honors Jazz Band and All-State Jazz Band, but being a drummer, it is extremely difficult to get into any of those bands (there is only one drummer spot). From the viewpoint of college admissions, what is my best course of action?
Post edited by calvind77 on

Replies to: Would I rather take music junior year?

• kagami6918kagami6918 Registered User Posts: 593 Member
    From the viewpoint of college admissions? Staying would show commitment. Getting into the All-State Jazz Band would be pretty impressive. Does it make much of a difference? Who knows. Some people say it does, some people say it doesn't. Who knows.

Just do what you want to do. Not every little freaking thing has to be about college.

And for the record, you can't expect people online to know you well enough to know if you'd rather take music or physics.
  • calvind77calvind77 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    In all honesty, I didn't know where to put this thread, so I'll rephrase: How much use is a music class, if I do not get into County or State?
  • kagami6918kagami6918 Registered User Posts: 593 Member
    As I said, staying in a music class would show commitment. I probably should have put that in quotes though. Supposedly, staying within your jazz band would show that you're committed to it, that you're capable of committing yourself to something in general, which would in turn supposedly make you look better because then the college would know that you're not the type to just do something and drop it. I'm not sure if what I'm saying makes sense?
This discussion has been closed.