Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does not being a National Merit Scholar hurt you if you're not a US citizen?

cherryblossom71cherryblossom71 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
edited March 2013 in College Admissions
I'm a senior who applied to a lot of the top colleges already (ivies and such), and though I'm a US resident and eligible to apply for citizenship, I opted not to do so because I wanted to retain my original citizenship. As a result, I wasn't eligible for the National Merit Competition though my PSAT score qualified in my state. Now I'm worried--will colleges understand that I'm not a NMF because of my citizenship status or will this count against me (there are Finalists applying to the same colleges from my high school)?
Post edited by cherryblossom71 on

Replies to: Does not being a National Merit Scholar hurt you if you're not a US citizen?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,434 Super Moderator
    Top schools (Ivies and such) do not care much about NMF. Many students don't even complete the application because there are no merit $ available for them.
  • cherryblossom71cherryblossom71 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Okay, that makes me feel a little better. I'm just worried that colleges will overlook the fact that I don't meet the citizenship requirements for the program and think that I wasn't good enough.... The competition from my school is tough enough without this misperception. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.