Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is georgetown comp sci any good?

prado676prado676 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited October 2013 in College Admissions
I want to do comp sci as a major in college, but also do premed. Is this even possible?

Also, is Georgetown Comp Sci a good program at the school? I know they have a good liberal arts program (i.e. poli sci), but is their comp sci/pre med programs respected?

Also, is CMU really that hard for Comp Sci? I'm pretty good at Comp Sci, but I need to work on my skills.

Finally, do you guys think I'm reaching to high? My counselor says those two schools are reaches, but idk if i should listen to her.

Extra Info fyi:

Freshman Year (W GPA 3.65)
Advanced Algebra II
Honors English I
Honors Government
Latin II
Physics I
Comp Sci I

Sophomore Year (W GPA 4.3)
Advanced Pre Calc
Academic English II
Honors Biology
Honors Chem
Honors latin III
Honors US History
AP Comp Sci -> 4 on test

Junior Year (just started)
AP Physics B
AP Calc AB
AP Euro
Honors Latin IV
Honors Global Studies
Honors Comp Sci 3
Academic English III

I have no idea what I'm taking senior year.

I have not taken SAT's yet (and I'm not going to be one of those kids that say I haven't taken them yet but will hope to get a 2300+ because every single kid who says that ends up with like a 2050).

EC's:
Cross Country (17:30 5K)
Track and Field (4:47 mile, 10:23 2 mile)
Volunteer at red cross
Started a tutoring business

Thanks for any help!
Post edited by prado676 on

Replies to: Is georgetown comp sci any good?

• prado676prado676 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    bump bump bump
    Bump bump bump
  • NavalTraditionNavalTradition Registered User Posts: 1,060 Senior Member
    I want to do comp sci as a major in college, but also do premed. Is this even possible?

Yes, almost always. You'll burn through most of your electives, but it should be arithmetically possible at any school.
    Also, is Georgetown Comp Sci a good program at the school?

Bluntly, no. They have some smart and hard-working faculty, but very little depth (check their faculty page, look carefully for how many are joint with another department or visiting) and not much in the way of resources/facilities. Recently IBM gave out some Big Data installations to several universities, including Georgetown. Most schools, it went to the CS department. Georgetown, it went to the business school.
    Also, is CMU really that hard for Comp Sci?

Yes.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,700 Senior Member
    Georgetown's CS department appears to emphasize topics that relate to politics and national security.

Computer Science | 2013-2014 Fall and Spring Course Catalog | Georgetown University
  • fogcityfogcity Registered User Posts: 3,228 Senior Member
    Finally, do you guys think I'm reaching to high? My counselor says those two schools are reaches, but idk if i should listen to her.

You're fortunate to have a wise counselor. You should definitely listen to her.

Georgetown is not the best choice for a CS major. Nor is the mix of premed and CS a good recipe for an eventual medical school "success". Medical school admissions are extraordinarily selective.

Focus on premed and dabble with a course or two of CS. If you do that Georgetown is an excellent choice.
  • jiblerjibler Registered User Posts: 1,604 Senior Member
    Yeah, it's a reach, and it's not very strong in computer science.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,614 Forum Champion
    If you'd be strong in CS, then being a premed CS major would be ok. And, it's good to have a back up plan since most students who enter college as "premed" never go to med school.

However, if you're not certain that you'd get A's in the CS courses, the math, the premed prereqs, then it's a risk.

Your BCMP GPA and cum GPA will both be looked at by med schools.

Talk to your parents about how much they'll pay for college.
    Bumpity bump bump
    bumppppppp
  • jrpfisherjrpfisher Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    NO! I would look into other schools.
This discussion has been closed.