Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College professor for letter of recommendation

InfamouszeusInfamouszeus Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
edited October 2013 in College Admissions
Are letter of recs strictly have to be your high school teacher or counselor? I know a college professor at UC Davis that I've known for my entire high school life. It is allowed to get a letter of rec from him and will it help my chances at competitive universities?
Thanks
Post edited by Infamouszeus on

Replies to: College professor for letter of recommendation

• fogcityfogcity Registered User Posts: 3,228 Senior Member
    Most colleges would welcome a "third" letter of recommendation from someone who knows you well as a teacher or coach. Examples would include a "music" teacher with whom you've studied for several years, or an "art" teacher who's worked with you as you developed your oil painting style, a "crew" coach, etc. Does the college professor know you in one of those capacities? Has he ever been your teacher? If so, then a recommendation makes sense. But if not (as for example he knows you as a family friend etc.) then it's unclear why he would be a suitable reference.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Emphasis on this:
    But if not (as for example he knows you as a family friend etc.) then it's unclear why he would be a suitable reference.

Unless you've worked directly beneath him, his rec would be worthless. It's about the rec's content about YOU and nothing about the rec writer.
This discussion has been closed.