Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Doing ED On The Common App? Do A Test Run Now!

MrMom62MrMom62 Registered User Posts: 3,488 Senior Member
edited November 2013 in College Admissions
D was ready to submit her ED application, due Nov. 15, last night. We had run the PDF test before, but she made a few changes, added in her AP scores for the first time, and WHAMMO! no AP scores on the PDF. Took it in to her GC and no joy there either. They've got a note in to tech support. I am so glad it's Oct. 31 and NOT Nov. 14.

So, if you've got an ED date coming up, I suggest you make a test run NOW. Pretend you're submitting and generate the PDF. Make sure you've got everything filled in, even if you have to use dummy data. Print it out and check to make sure it's all generating for you correctly. (If you don't enter credit card data, you can't submit it accidentally. There are so many checks you'll never submit it by accident.)

Better to know you've got trouble now than just before the deadline, when it will be panic time. I'd suggest doing the same thing at least a week before any Priority or RD dates. Those submitting EA Nov. 1 might want to check to make sure everything is working right now.
Post edited by MrMom62 on

Replies to: Doing ED On The Common App? Do A Test Run Now!

• billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    Not showing the AP score could be due to the suppression by that particular school. This is described in the FAQ.
  • MrMom62MrMom62 Registered User Posts: 3,488 Senior Member
    Ah ha! Thank you very much. Only I wish they would tell us they were doing that - that's a feature they could program in, rather than just leaving it blank after you enter something and making us wonder.

I'd still recommend doing a test run though.
  • nicedayniceday Registered User Posts: 2,498 Senior Member
    Even if your test run is successful, plan to apply at least two days ahead of the deadlines. Payment issues and submission issues after the preview stage are still common. Official submission dates recorded by CA are also sometimes showing up as being a day or two later than the date the student signs and submits.
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Registered User Posts: 7,313 Senior Member
    To anyone else out there thinking of doing an early test-run . . . you might want to wait until AFTER Nov. 1 to do it.

There are still plenty of schools out there with a Nov. 1 deadline, so there’s no need to add to Common App’s already busy traffic today.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    For RD, I would wait until after 11/15 to avoid the traffic and let the ED/EA go smoother.
  • ilaughinghouseilaughinghouse Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    I submitted my brown app like a week ago, then last night it wouldn't let me submit my supplements. (deadline is today, nov 1 for ED) It was crazy. Sent both Brown and commonapp an email about the technical difficulties, then i was successful this morning and sent them an email that it was resolved. I really didn't wait until last minute, the commonapp wouldn't let me submit my supplement essays (no green check appeared) several days this week. D: it was horrible but everything is in now so i think Im good.
  • MrMom62MrMom62 Registered User Posts: 3,488 Senior Member
    Common App just confirmed the "suppression" theory. That's a handy one to know, I'm sure it's going to crop up all over the place in the next two months.

On to ED!
This discussion has been closed.