Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ways to show a high "level of applicant's interest"

2»

Replies to: Ways to show a high "level of applicant's interest"

• dustypigdustypig Registered User Posts: 924 Member
    I see; that makes sense. And that's how students end up with no acceptances, I suppose, if they don't get into reaches and they didn't convince their safeties that they really wanted to go there. Well, we're certainly going to visit all of D's safety choices (whatever they end up being). Our counselor (private, hired) is suggesting all kinds of reach schools, all over the country, and neither D nor I are enthusiastic about flying everywhere to visit schools that probably won't admit her anyway. And the last thing I want is for her to fall really in love with a school where she's a long shot -- especially if she would have been perfectly content at a match school!
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,636 Senior Member
    If her safeties are automatic-for-stats admission or scholarship schools that she qualifies for, then visits obviously won't matter for admission (although she may still want to visit if her selection criteria include things that require a visit to determine). These would be the most 100% sure thing safeties if they are affordable and offer the academics she wants.

Similarly, CSUs do not track visits -- almost all of them are pure stats based admissions, although only the non-impacted majors at non-impacted campuses can be considered 100% sure thing safeties for students who meet the CSU eligibility minimum (although a student with top-end stats may find the risk of being rejected at most impacted CSUs to be infinitesmal). UCs are less of a sure thing due to holistic evaluation, even though most of them do not care about "level of applicant's interest".

If your private college counselor is doing his/her job properly, s/he would advise starting off the list with the affordable safety school(s), then building the match and reach lists from there.
  • dustypigdustypig Registered User Posts: 924 Member
    Well, she (counselor) hasn't come up with a full list yet. I guess she was just trying to determine the kind of school that D would like best, but when you don't know much about the schools, it's confusing. In our last meeting she mentioned Reed, U of Chicago, Barnard, American University, and Swarthmore. She already knows we've checked out UC Davis and UC San Diego, and that we're visiting Scripps and Pitzer over spring break. She did suggest we add Occidental to that visit, which I think was a good suggestion and we'll do it.

Sorry to derail the thread with my own D's issues!
  • LBad96LBad96 Registered User Posts: 3,499 Senior Member
    So does that mean that a school like UMass Amherst wouldn't really track interest because of the number of applicants? They're clearly more stat-driven? What if I was the first applicant to UMass Amherst next year?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,636 Senior Member
    Suggestions by a Tulane senior associate admissions director:
    http://tuadmissionjeff.blogspot.com/2014/03/5-way-to-demonstrate-your-interest.html
    Apply Early.
    Do the optional statement.
    Communicate with your counselor.
    Attend a high school visit or information session.
    Visit.
  • LBad96LBad96 Registered User Posts: 3,499 Senior Member
    Well, #19 ended up not even making any difference :P
2»
This discussion has been closed.