Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances of getting into a decent college are ruined?

LaDiDaDaLaDiDaLaDiDaDaLaDiDa Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
So I had to deal with a lot of crap during my freshman year. My grades ended up suffering and my weighted GPA was 3.6. However, this year as a sophomore, I have managed to get my act together. Last year my average was a C+ in English, and this year it is an A+. I took Algebra 1 in 9th grade, yet I am going to be taking Calculus BC as a junior( this would put me ahead of everyone in my grade). My question is, would universities actually care about what I did? Many of the unis I LOVE happen to be "top" schools. Is freshman year going to ruin everything? I really am trying to redeem myself here. I was rejected from Exeter and now I feel as if everything else is going to be impossible for me. Do you know of anyone who has a similar story and found success? Thanks for taking the time to read this. I need done inspiration.

Replies to: Chances of getting into a decent college are ruined?

• MrMom62MrMom62 Registered User Posts: 3,488 Senior Member
    Please explain how you plan on going from Algebra I as a freshman to Calc BC as a junior. That seems to be a rather unlikely progression, as you are missing about two years of math.
  • LaDiDaDaLaDiDaLaDiDaDaLaDiDa Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    This is a very possible progression. As a sophomore I am doubling up in maths by taking algebra 2 and geometry. Over the summer I will take pre-calculus and get accreditation. I have already self studies pre calculus and Calculus 1. I just really love math. So it's very possible, depending on who you are and how you go about doing it.
  • kei04086kei04086 Registered User Posts: 496 Member
    You have to maintain your gpa or this doubling up won't even matter; it might even count against you. You need to make sure you're going to be able to keep a high gpa and have enough time for ECs. Considering you had a low gpa freshman year you might want to reevaluate and make sure you're making the correct decision. No college wants a study machine that was so caught up in school he had no time for anything else.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,230 Senior Member
    If you love math * and are getting A's*, keep advancing as fast as you can, keeping an eye out for the upper level calculus classes you'll be taking during the summer after Junior year and during Senior year (crucial). Ideally, you'd be taking Discrete math and Linear Algebra Senior year to give your application a real boost.
    Some universities do not count 9th grade results at all.
    However kei is right: make sure you choose your classes in such a manner your GPA keeps progressing; that you have one EC you're passionate about, dedicated about, and where you show what you're capable of (winning awards/prizes/competition, starring in performances...)
  • Momof2back2backMomof2back2back Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    First, forget your freshman year. If you kick ass the rest of the way, most colleges won't care.
    Second, ease up on the math thing. Your GPA, and your sanity, and your ability to spend some quality time in-depth in a couple of extracurriculars (whatever they may be for you) is most important. Taking Calculus BC as a junior isn't necessarily going to be seen as "wahoo, now I want this kid for my college." In fact, it could backfire if you then don't have the ability to take a harder math your senior year. You might have to go off-campus and your grades might suffer. Trying to take an entire year of math in a short abbreviated summer can be VERY difficult and students are not always successful.
This discussion has been closed.