Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do the US military academies compare to national universities?

2»

Replies to: How do the US military academies compare to national universities?

• raimiusraimius Registered User Posts: 2,360 Senior Member
    Thanksgiving, Chistmas, and Spring Break are considered leave. If a cadet is on probation, they need special permission to use their passes. Passes allow cadets to leave base at allowable times (usually weekends, etc.).
  • pizzahutpizzahut Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    The reason many people don't choose the service academies is that a military obligation is incurred and military salaries aren't up to par with corporate world salarie for similar jobs.
  • pizzahutpizzahut Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Also, at the academy it is military, military, military 24/7. They don't really get the "college" experience. I heard someone say once that at most schools, you enter as an 18 year old and leave as an 22 or 23 year old (socially with your peers), but at the academies you enter as an 18 year old and leave as an 18 year old.
  • lesmizzielesmizzie - Posts: 1,471 Senior Member
    i live currently 10-20 minutes from kings point(LOng ISLAND YAY!) I live 2 hours from west point( was just there recently for the rice VS WP game w/ family such a sad game..) and my sisters longggg distance bf went to naval academy i dont know what his major was but he loved it was in the Water polo team...he was very active and a few weeks ago when sister was in ny hiked 9 miles to this area where his parents were camping(his parents horse back rode those 9 miles..) for a short vacation hes in IRAQ currently for 2 months doing sort of a Intelligence training-internship...and will be gone for longer in APRIL..so i of all people should no that: THE ACADEMys r not for everyone my parents wish they were right for me..but i cannot even do a sit up fully..yep..im that bad...so no academys for me...but a active young smart person willing to work...should look into it
  • raimiusraimius Registered User Posts: 2,360 Senior Member
    Pizzahut, what do "ordinary" college students do that matures them more than being in the military and college for four years?

Cadets are required to keep up with a demanding schedule of academics and military duties, stay physically fit, and interact with career military NCOs and officers on a daily basis...and maintaining a professional attitude while doing so.
    ...average college student...???
This discussion has been closed.