Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

People applying to too many schools regardless of costs.

RachmaninoffRachmaninoff Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
edited April 2006 in College Admissions
Anybody notice this. This year's applicants seem to disregard the application fees now. I remember the previous year when the students applying to 5-6 schools were normal. Our year's trend seems to be to take a risk and apply to over 10! I wont be a hypocrite and attack the people applying to that many (considering I applied to 9), but dont you guys think this is starting to get out of hand? What happened to the days when each college applied were personally loved for their specialty, not for their prestige?

I think this is the cause of all the rejections you see, and the reasons behind the rejections of so many exceptional students. All the abundance of applicants is beginnign to cause problems. How do you think the unioversities will overcome this problem?
Post edited by Rachmaninoff on

Replies to: People applying to too many schools regardless of costs.

• IsleBoyIsleBoy Registered User Posts: 2,681 Senior Member
    Rach:

It is...caused, perhaps, by a focus on the ranking thing.
  • Sly SiSly Si Registered User Posts: 938 Member
    There's an increasing perception--and probably rightly so--that admission to top colleges is becoming more or less a crapshoot. If you assume this is the case, and it's extremely important to you that you get into SOME top school (and you don't particularly care which one), then it's perfectly logical to apply to as many top schools as possible. Flip more coins, and you increase your chances of flipping heads on at least one.

That said, there are problems with students applying to as many schools as possible, not the least of which is the student's sanity. I would have gone crazy if I had had to fill out 10+ applications, and so I didn't; I filled out 3. A big reason for this is that I knew I would be happy even if I didn't get into my top choice.
  • collegemom16collegemom16 Registered User Posts: 4,257 Senior Member
    I also think that many students these days are looking for bragging rights about all the schools they were accepted into and all of the fin-aid they were awarded.
  • ZumaZuma Registered User Posts: 745 Member
    Give people some credit. Let them apply to as many schools as they want. I am sure most people have rational reasons for the number of apps they write. Ask them. Their answers might be instructive.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,997 Super Moderator
    Is increasing selectivity really the reason for a boom in applications, though? The colleges wouldn't be so selective if the number of applications dropped. I wonder which came first? Too many applicants prefer the "shotgun" method of applications- that is, shoot applications all over the place and hope to score hits.

I would personally love to see the American education system adopt the British policy- you can apply to Oxford or Cambridge, but not both (also, they're limited to 6 schools). If applicants are forced to choose between Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, I believe admit rates and yield would increase- a good bargain for everyone.
  • RachmaninoffRachmaninoff Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    The children of Britain should learn from their motherland yet agian, lol. jk jk to all those patriots out there. :)
  • Sx91Sx91 Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    warblersrule86 has got it completely right.
  • EsamisaEsamisa Registered User Posts: 2,181 Senior Member
    Gah i only applied to 5 and I totally wish I applied to more like 12. That would've just given me more chance... sigh
  • tenchitenchi Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    I was planning on applying around 12+, but I only applied for 8 because I was too lazy to do colleges' essays.
  • iversioniversion Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    I know someone who applied to over 20.

Yes.

Personally, my mom was whining about money after the 6th schools. Initially, she wanted me to apply to 3 (all Ivy, mind you). In the end, I had to take off some of the more competitive schools I would have loved to take a shot at because we couldn't afford it. Just to rant anyway, I can't visit colleges now because there's no money.. and yet I have full scholarships from 2 of my reaches.

Life = Paradox + W(nonconservative) ;)
    full scholarships huh? Im curious as to what school they were. That's a nice achievement.
  • Kirei na Neko KuKirei na Neko Ku Registered User Posts: 268 Junior Member
    How is this a problem for universities? It's actually BETTER for them. They can be more picky and selective and the make more moeny on college apps. So I don't think they're gonna wanna fix anything.

Also, I think the British system is retarded. You should be able to apply to any and as many schools as you want. Free country, damn it!
    It is better for universities, but it's not good for the students.

...and I won't agree with you about the true freedom of this country. There are a lot of restrictions. Anyways, I would certainly sacrifice my ability to apply to 9, 10, 11, or 12 schools if everybody will have to apply to 6. That way, colleges wont be so much of a crapshoot, and more students will get the reward that they deserve. The British system will elimintate, to a certain degree, the problem of having all the elite students applying to the 12 of the top 20 schools, and blocking out those people who are actually very desperate for one of them. Remember, an individual can get acceptance to 20 schools, but in the end, he/she can only attend one. His attendance of one and rejecting the other 19 means he just took 19 spots away from other hopeful students. You can argue waitlist, but that's still a problem, since waitlist decisions come out in june. By that time, most would already have made a decision to which college to attend.
  • EsamisaEsamisa Registered User Posts: 2,181 Senior Member
    I do agree with kirei na neko ku. You should be allowed to apply to however many you want... And have a choice between harvard, princeton, and yale if u've been accepted... bastards.. ;_;
  • xsuubiexxsuubiex . Posts: 498 Member
    The cause of everybody applying to numerous schools causes admission rates to fall, 'most competitive years' occuring, and most importnatly, a general panic amongst students upon hearing the difficulty of admissions. These students now apply to many schools because with so many people applying to many schools admissions is becomming exponentially unpredictable. So its like a paradox.

Had I cut down my college list, I would be in trouble because the schools in danger of being cut are the ones i have to choose among.
This discussion has been closed.