Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Stanford vs Caltech vs IIT

jedijedi Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited April 2006 in College Admissions
I have admission to Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley(EECS), Cornell, CMU and UIUC. I am interested in EECS. I am International(India) and so shall be paying full fee. After exploring, I feel ultimately its between Caltech & Stanford. Pl give advice. I shall be writing IIT in April. Though nobody can be sure of IIT, I shall include IIT in comparison list.
Post edited by jedi on

Replies to: Stanford vs Caltech vs IIT

  • jedijedi Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    An addition in the above. I am told that access to hardcore research in critical areas in US is open, after 9/11, only to US citizens. So if I am interested in NASA and so join Caltech and do succeed at Caltech, the opening to NASA may still not be as forthcoming as I am an Indian and NOT US citizen. Is it true? If it's even remotely true I better go to Stanford rather than to Caltech for Math/Science alone.
  • AntariusAntarius Registered User Posts: 4,614 Senior Member
    Hi. Yes IIT is totally impossible...
    Its nuts and I hate the JEE its such a bad admission process

    Really, goto stanford anyday... it builds people, not just minds
  • FeatherflareFeatherflare Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    one word. Stanford
  • amnesiaamnesia Registered User Posts: 2,153 Senior Member
    jedi,

    I am not sure about the critical facilities, but I would contact the US embassy in India and ask them about your concern with US research facilities.
  • AntariusAntarius Registered User Posts: 4,614 Senior Member
    hey, that sounds nice amnesia, but bad idea tho

    US embassy is so tightly secured, ull be arrested for walking near by. :DGetting in for a passport renewal was a pain.. kiddin'

    Ans jedi, IIT isnt in the pic. U have to reply by MAY 1st. IIT results are out after that....
  • theoneotheoneo Registered User Posts: 6,934 Senior Member
    If you are 110% sure that you want to do math/science in your life and that you don't care about anything except for math/science and don't care for a social life, go to Caltech.

    Otherwise, go to Stanford.

    Don't go to IIT.
  • jedijedi Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Antarius, u r right! Of course I lose only the deposit. US decision is by May 1 and IIT shall be known by May31. Ultimately I have to decide on one in June.

    Theoneo, In response to you I shall add as below.
    As of today I am interested in science and want to do engg. I think I will go into engg.research(65% chance) or management(35% chance). I m only 16, so not really mature to decide finally. In undergrad school I want 75% focus on academics and 25% on personality. Within academics I want 80% focus on science/engg and 20% on humanities.
  • Shark_biteShark_bite Registered User Posts: 1,561 Senior Member
    Wow, some IIT students actually use Harvard as a safety school. The competition there is insane. Still, I would go with Stanford. Good luck with whatever you do decide on!
  • cghencghen Registered User Posts: 613 Member
    I'd probably pick Stanford (if I understand your situation/interests correctly). It gives you more options without sacrificing any quality really (Stanford EECS is really good).

    (Now time for a shameless plug...) Do take a good luck at Caltech, though. If you feel Caltech fits you better than Stanford, I'd say go to Caltech. Take a look over Caltech's course catelog and see if you find enough business/management and humanities courses to keep you happy for four years.

    As with most decisions between top schools, it comes down to where you feel you'll be the most satisfied.

    Good luck!
  • nesa1188nesa1188 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    I would go with Stanford...it is very well rounded in all of its programs whereas Caltech is very focused on math and science.
This discussion has been closed.