Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it worth sending an arts supplement for design?

ByLaissezFaireByLaissezFaire Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
edited July 2014 in College Admissions
I'm a rising senior applying to schools like Princeton, Stanford, Pomona, and Harvard (as well as various matches and safeties).

This is just about arts supplements. I have extensive-ish experience in user interface and graphic design (I co-own my own freelance studio and I've been paid), and the schools I've emailed gave vague 'yes we consider everything send it in' responses when I asked whether or not I could submit for graphic design.

Two questions:

1. Am I of high enough calibre? Maybe some people on here will have experience in arts supplements. I don't have an instructor, I'm 100% self-taught, so I don't really have anyone to ask.

2. Are schools even able to judge less traditional types of art like UI/UX? I know maybe Stanford might, but otherwise... Especially if there is no graphic arts department, who would review it?
Post edited by Chedva on

Replies to: Is it worth sending an arts supplement for design?

• AnnieBeatsAnnieBeats Registered User Posts: 1,958 Senior Member
    It is definitely worth it to send it in. You are extremely talented. I know a young man who was a singer and got into UPenn. 1700 on the SAT, and an amazing GPA. He was an amazing singer and submitted a voice recording of him singing. He was admitted RD. So even though they may not have a specific department, it shows that you are extremely talented and passionate about something. Perhaps you could bring that talent to a club on campus.
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 30,033 Super Moderator
    edited July 2014
    MODERATOR'S NOTE
    Please note that links to portfolios on unmoderated sites, private blogs, or other similar hosting services, are not permitted on College Confidential. Those links have been removed.

Chedva
This discussion has been closed.