Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents won't do NPC, should I try harder to make them?

IlariaCaelestisIlariaCaelestis Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
As I've been compiling a list of colleges/universities for me to apply to in the fall I've been asking my parents about financial aid and how much their willing to put towards my education. However, my parents refuse to put their info into the NPC for any college to determine our EFC.

Whenever I try and talk to them about they always just tell me to "not worry about it". My parents said just apply first and then choose the place with the best fin-aid. I think this be the wrong way to go since I don't want to waste their money applying to a place that's unlikely to give aid.

I know I have a college fund (the amount unknown) and I have a year of tuition from my dad (he's in the military). However, while we're not poor we're not rich either and my parents are encouraging me to apply for many outside scholarships like for URMs and military kids.

I have a list of good schools and I'm fortunate enough to live in a state with great state schools. William and Mary, George Mason, and UVA are affordable. However, I'm just concerned about my parents refusal to do the NPC. Even though my parents both went to college and then law school they were both first-gen so a lot of my knowledge on college admissions is from my own prompting. I'm afraid my parents aren't being realistic.

What should I do? Should I keep trying to nudge them towards doing the EFC or follow their advice? They seem like they know what they're talking about, but at the same time I'm still wary. Advice?

Replies to: Parents won't do NPC, should I try harder to make them?

• LacosteLacoste Registered User Posts: 627 Member
    If they are refusing to do NPC then just stick to public schools because they will cost the least. What are your stats. Virginia is a great state to live in because the public schools are outstanding. This can be a typical list of schools of an average student in VA.
    Reach- UVA, W&M, University of Richmond (has huge endowment and gives outstanding need based aid)
    Target- VCU, JMU, VTech
    Safety- George Mason
  • IlariaCaelestisIlariaCaelestis Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    @Lacoste I don't feel super comfortable giving out my information,but I can assure you I'm a student in the top 5% of my class. I will give out that I got an 800 on my USH subject test. I think they don't want to do the NPC because my mum says I'm putting the cart before the horse (which I tend to do a lot). All the private schools on my list have good aid, but I'm still a little concerned.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,918 Senior Member
    Ask them to do a couple of NPCs at schools that interest you the most--without showing you the information. They just may not want to give it to you.
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Forum Champion Math/Computer Science, Forum Champion Richmond Posts: 3,856 Forum Champion
    edited July 2014
    @Lacoste‌ university of richmond is private, not public- COA is $56k a year. They do offer approx 10 full ride, 40 full tuition (i have one for music), and 100 half tuition scholarships every year, along with generous financial aid. However, it is very competitive and can be very difficult to get into.

But yes, those are good target and reach schools for those in VA. However, VCU, VTech, and UVA can all be reaches depending on what school/program you are applying for.
  • LacosteLacoste Registered User Posts: 627 Member
    @guineagirl96‌ I know Richmond is private but I included it because it gives fantastic need based aid. It may be cost less then in state schools
  • sseamomsseamom Registered User Posts: 4,905 Senior Member
    The NPC on college websites do not require you to register or otherwise identify yourself. Run them based on several income levels unless you know the ballpark figure for your parents' income. Then show the figures to your parents and say, "Here are the results, can you share with me which ones are accurate and how much in aid I need to be concerned about?

Keep in mind that the NPC are not always accurate and do NOT take into account trust funds, savings or scholarships at this basic level. And your parents are right-keep looking for scholarships. My niece got one for joining a EC and going to a formal dinner once a year in college. Her sister was offered one for being a redhead. Free money is free money.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 43,634 Super Moderator
    Direct them to this website:

https://costofcollege.****/tag/npc/
    In the college search and selection process, parents should think very carefully before assuring their child that “we’ll find a way to pay for it.” That promise could be the cause of deep disappointment or crushing student debt.

Further info:

http://diycollegerankings.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-finding-a-college/

@gunieagirl96 @Lacoste yeah I totally forgot U of Richmond is private and anyway I'm not sure I like the history of the school. I'm planning to apply to UVA in the college of arts and sciences. I'm not going to apply to VTech or VCU.

@Hunt Yeah, I think that might be best. My parents have always been quiet about our finances and as far as I know we've never been in major trouble. Heck, for all I know they could be hiding some big stash for me. I think I'll try your approach.
  • scholarmescholarme Registered User Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    There are tables that give rough EFC based on income only. You could google those and show them to your parents.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,918 Senior Member
    There could be a big cash stash, and they don't want you to know about it because they think that would cause you to slack off from looking for scholarships. But it's more likely that they are hesitant to share financial info with you for other reasons.

You might show your parents this thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1638399-parents-of-high-school-juniors-talk-finances-now-p1.html
  • WasatchWriterWasatchWriter Registered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    I have no knowledge of the schools you're interested in, but here's something to keep in mind. At most schools, merit scholarships will be used to offset the financial aid award, not the EFC. This means you really can't count on both. If the school's website is not clear on this (they seldom are) a short email to the finaid office should get you a quick response.
  • scholarmescholarme Registered User Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    #11 Good point. Same thing for outside scholarships. Let's say you got a $10,000 scholarship from an essay contest.
    Most schools will take that amount and reduce the need aid they would give you, keeping your EFC the same. :(
    @WasatchWriter‌ @scholarme Yikes :( that's rough. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the good advice. I'll keep on the lookout for outside scholarships like @sseamom and my parents said.

@Hunt thanks for the advice I'll try my best. The weird thing is with my parents is that if something is too expensive or they want me to proceed with caution they'll say outright "Keep in mind we might not be able to afford this". They've been with me on all my college tours and even when I show the cost they just shrug and say "costs more than it used too". Like when I showed them the tuition cost for Georgetown they just brushed it off. Maybe it's because of my GI Bill money idk. The only clue my dad has given is "we will definitely be able to pay for 3 years of college". They're hard people to read sometimes haha.
    Thank you everyone for the helpful advice!
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Forum Champion Math/Computer Science, Forum Champion Richmond Posts: 3,856 Forum Champion
    @IlariaCaelestis‌ I can tell you my strategy when I applied last year. My parents refused to fill out the FAFSA, so we didn't apply for financial aid. because we didn't get anything when my brother applied (yay middle class), so I applied to outside scholarships and schools where i knew I had a shot at getting full tuition scholarships. Mason was my financial and academic safety in case my plan backfired- I got into the honors college there. My top two choices I got full tuition scholarships at. I accepted at richmond and due to the virginia tuition assistance grant and outside scholarships, I have approx $5k COA yearly, which is cheaper than it would be for me to go to mason and live at home.
This discussion has been closed.