Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Residency Question? SoCal - Undergraduate

aero640aero640 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi, I'll be applying to various SoCal universities this November. Right now, I am an out-of-state student. However, in May 2015, I will be moving to SoCal. Theoretically, if I get accepted to any of those universities, will I be able to apply as an in-state student for tuition reasons? How should I go about applying in November?

Replies to: Residency Question? SoCal - Undergraduate

  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,424 Super Moderator
    In November you will be an OOS student. Google [name of college] residency to see what's required. Likely you won't qualify until you've lived on your own in CA for two years, and maybe not till after you are 24.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 10,121 Super Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Establishing residency in California is relatively easy -- but only if you're financially independent. That's why graduate students can get California residency in a year, whereas that's almost impossible for most undergraduates.

    If your family is moving to California, make sure that all the necessary paperwork gets filled out as soon as possible (registering to vote in California, getting California licenses, paying California taxes, etc.). Keep track of airplane tickets as well; more documentation is better. You should be eligible for in-state tuition about a year after the move (i.e. fall 2016).

    As Erin's Dad noted, you'll have a much harder time of it if it's just you moving to California.
This discussion has been closed.