right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

good rising trend vs better overall gpa

coolpaperclipscoolpaperclips 7 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9 New Member
so my friend and i both want to apply for columbia ed next year. he has a better overall gpa than i do by about 0.2 points, but he had a great freshman year, a decent sophomore year, and a slightly better junior year. His gpa is a 4.53 weighted. I, on the other hand, had a really **** freshman year, a better sophomore year, and an even better junior year, with the gpa increase between each year being bigger than the last. My gpa is a 4.30 unweighted. We all took the highest level classes possible (5 ap's and one honors class) and our SAT scores are basically the same because we studied together for everything. Who would columbia look more favorably upon?
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: good rising trend vs better overall gpa

• capitalamericacapitalamerica 442 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 451 Member
    It depends on each of your performances in specific classes. It's more impressive if you performed notably better than your friend in AP classes (which are usually not really offered during freshman year).

Despite this, you shouldn't really be worrying about how you stack up against your friend, especially since all that is past and you already took the most rigorous course load you could (which is a good thing). Instead, focus on making yourself look better regardless of your peers through your essays/EC's/LoR's, considering you'll be competing against people who have high GPA's and many other competitive and impressive aspects about them.
    · Reply · Share
  • ribbonroad224ribbonroad224 353 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 362 Member
    "Instead, focus on making yourself look better regardless of your peers through your essays/EC's/LoR's, considering you'll be competing against people who have high GPA's and many other competitive and impressive aspects about them."

Agreed. It sounds like you and your friend both have similar, great objective qualities. Columbia will differentiate you two by your subjective qualities.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity