Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I Have Moved To Regular Decision?

rkepp12rkepp12 Registered User Posts: 538 Member
Hi everyone,

So I'm guessing it's probably too late for this. I applied to Caltech during Early Action. I had everything in place, but the timing of my SAT Subject Tests was a little stressful. In the end, my ACT score was 33 (just below their mid-50), but my subject tests were the problem.

I got a 770 in physics and a 760 in math II. I thought at the time that it wouldn't be a big deal, but I looked at their website a few days ago and their mid-50 for the math was 800.

I should also mention that my scores were from October, the absolute last test date they would take to consider me for admission. I also took the test again in November, and got significantly better scores: 800 in math II, and 790 in physics.

After seeing these statistics, I feel like I don't even have a chance unless they look at my November test scores. Would it have been better to move to Regular Decision? I'm guessing it's not possible at this point, with decisions coming out in two weeks, but if it's still possible, should I move to Regular Decision still?

Thanks so much everyone!

Replies to: Should I Have Moved To Regular Decision?

  • pastwisepastwise Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    edited November 2014
    Just email them with the latest scores and telling them you will send them another official score report. My guess is that if they reject you outright in EA, you probably are not that competitive in other areas either, and even your 800s won't make a difference. If they think they may consider you with 800s, they will defer you to RD.

    No point of moving to RD from your end. It may only increase the chance they screw up your files. At least staying at EA shows interest.

  • rkepp12rkepp12 Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    @pastwise Thanks for the response! As with all applicants, I just want to give myself the best opportunity to present my abilities. I agree that it shows interest, and the thing I'm trying to justify right now is the added weight that the "interest" part adds in comparison to the deviation of my test scores from the very high average.
  • rkepp12rkepp12 Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    Also, this is the response I received when I emailed them my scores. I told them my scores, unofficially, and that an official score report would be sent soon shortly. The admission office could use the scores in whatever way they need:

    "We will only consider the results of exams taken prior to the application deadline. If your application is deferred, you may send the official results as an update."
  • pastwisepastwise Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    Sorry to hear that. That's tough. I honestly am not sure what to suggest. :(
  • rkepp12rkepp12 Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    @pastwise Thanks for the advice though! I do see your point if I get rejected, it's most likely not due to my scores. All I'm hoping for is a non-rejection letter. I'd be ecstatic if I got accepted, but deferral is fine too since the test scores would count then.
This discussion has been closed.