Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Horrendous ACT score

2»

Replies to: Horrendous ACT score

• viphanviphan Registered User Posts: 1,270 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    My parents spent few thousands on SAT courses, and I barely broke a 2000. When I took the ACT for the first time, I got a 30, which was about equivalent to my SAT. Having set my eyes on some elite institutions, I knew I would never make it with that score.

I studied my butt of this past summer, taking a full length simulation exam every single day (sometimes two), and I retook the ACT this past September.

I got a whooping 35. I would have been ecstatic had I gotten a 34, heck 33 even.

Don't give up and give your very best. Only you know if you really tried your best.
  • Rboy31Rboy31 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    edited December 2014
    It's better than the SAT equivalent of a 19 on the ACT but barley. I got a 1420. I know It was bad as well. That's why I'm here asking if these tests will be the cataclysmic to my applications. Baylor gave me select status because they thought I would be a good fit because of my PSAT scores. So I don't know what to make of that
    Thanks, I want to but I think it's to late. I need to confirm with TCU about taking the Feb. ACT. I sent in my application for the early decision II application.
    TCU said they have no preference for which test to send in. I think I'll just send my SAT score, hopefully my other credentials will get me in. My friend has a similar class rank but with better SATs and he got in. We'll see I'm not holding out but it's better than sending in that 19. Thanks for the help guys, the next standard test I'm taking is the MCAT in 5 years and I'll be sure I prepare for that with the most rigor and determinations. I've learned from high school to never slack on these standardized tests. Wish me luck, thanks guys!
  • albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    I hope you get in there.
  • woogzmamawoogzmama Registered User Posts: 3,850 Senior Member
    The posts suggesting that the OP "study hard" border on sadistic, considering that OP is a senior who needs to get his or her applications in immediately. I highly recommend visiting the "Fairtest.org" site right now, and finding test-optional colleges. There are plenty with slightly later application deadlines.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    TCU's 25th percentile of SAT is 1650. 25 ACT. You've submitted your 1420 and are now just "hoping" to make it despite the fact that they will accept a Feb testing for the ACT? (go here: http://www.admissions.tcu.edu/Apply-Now/Deadlines and look at "Final Deadline")

Unless you at least attempt a Feb ACT, you can bank on getting rejected at TCU.

Regardless, I would strongly suggest you meet w/your GC when school resumes and find a handful of either 2year or reachable 4 yr programs to target for Sept 2015.
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    If I were you, at this point I would do the Community College thing with a vengeance. Not only would it allow you to save money, but you should be able to position yourself much better for entrance to a more selective college.

If you did this, you MUST carefully chart your CC course, AND verify it with your college counselors and maybe admissions officials from possible 4- year schools.

That's to make sure you take courses that are appropriate, applicable and transferable.
    I'm not sending in my ACT score to TCU I've accepted the fact that I won't get in so I'm just waiting for the rejection letter. I'll just do what justonedad has suggested
    I know there are schools I can get into but I prefer to save the money if I think it is not worth it
    Also I already turned in my application it was Early Action II.
  • FutureFrog19FutureFrog19 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    What do you guys think about a SAT score of 1610 for SAT. I'm in top 12% of class. Do I have a shot?
2»
This discussion has been closed.