Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How important is GPA?

Gromp12Gromp12 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
Could a relatively low gpa (3.6-3.7) be overlooked with exceptional ECs (national-winner) and test scores (34-35)? Top 20/ivy

Replies to: How important is GPA?

• RdtsmithRdtsmith Registered User Posts: 872 Member
    Google common data set + name of Ivy. They have one every year. Page down. Some have the percentages accepted in each range of GPA, test scores, etc. some schools I've seen actually have numbers admitted each range. Lots of other cool data there too so you can see where you fit in.
  • rdeng2614rdeng2614 Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    I believe GPA is the most important of most of the factors. It demonstrates long-term academic capability and indicates to colleges how ready you are for their college courses (also dependent on course rigor). Your GPA, while a bit low for Ivies, is not as bad as you think. Your test scores and EC certainly will help a lot, especially if you are a national winner. I would say you have an excellent chance (with good essays), as good as anybody, but keep in mind that many people that are applying to Ivies may have the same awards/stats/level of passion shown in EC's/test scores as you, but with a higher GPA and obviously Ivy admissions are generally a crapshoot, so be prepared.

The competition will be extremely fierce so try to apply to some safety schools like state colleges etc.
  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    I think my daughter had about a 3.7, but rigorous program at a competitive H a. Strong test but an exceptionally good EC (not award.) and supporting letters of rec and accomplishments to go with it.
  • TopTierTopTier Registered User Posts: 2,766 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    GPA > curricular rigor > standardized test results > recommendations > ECs > essays > other factors > interview

The vital point is, your documented secondary school record MUST FIRST strongly indicate that you can successfully do the work required by the applicable university. If you do not exceed this minimum threshold, you're not competitive, and all the other "great stuff" -- including fine ECs -- is irrelevant. With this said, a 3.6-3.7 GPA (presuming adequate curricular rigor) will (in my opinion) meet this threshold for the vast majority of American universities and LAC (although probably not for the most-selective first-tier).

[Note: The foregoing applies to "standard applicants" . . . not to recruited student-sthletes, or to the daughter of the alumni association's president, or to the son of the individual for whom the new wing on the law school is named, etc.]
  • N's MomN's Mom Registered User Posts: 2,212 Senior Member
    Your GPA isn't outside the realm of the possible depending on the school (see the Common Data Set for confirmation as suggested - Section C) and if its an upward trend (i.e., the lower grades were in 9th and 10th grade). But remember that those are reach schools and you need some solid matches and a safety or two.
  • RdtsmithRdtsmith Registered User Posts: 872 Member
    And remember those are reach schools even for those with 4.0s! At admission briefings some top colleges said they realize GPAs are not created equal. It can even vary by teacher not just school and there really isn't one standard nationwide so they do look what else you've been up to. My son had a GPA in that range when he applied and has been accepted to many top schools. At admissions briefings they do mention upward trend as well.
  • woogzmamawoogzmama Registered User Posts: 3,850 Senior Member
    Every college I visited listed curricular rigor first. That is a very respectable GPA, especially when combined with your ECs and test scores. All those "Top 20" schools are reaches for everyone, but your grades (especially if that is unweighted) will not disqualify you.
This discussion has been closed.