Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

International student (UK), need some advice

2»

Replies to: International student (UK), need some advice

• thatllbemethatllbeme Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    My parents have a joint income of ~$30k from my knowledge, and the cost of living in this part of England is pretty high.
    Teachers in school don't really know about the situation - there's a lot of stigma attached to being poor at my school, as many kids have parents who are doctors/lawyers and are going private for the last two years of school.
    I am, like I said, top of my year, but unfortunately I am also the first person (that I know of) to apply to a US system so teachers really can't help me, and the careers advisor only pointed me towards paid tutoring services.
    I'll be moving schools for years 12 and 13 for A-Levels, because the school I'm currently at doesn't offer German.
    I live in an area where there is a major university but the rest of the county is countryside.
  • AlfonsiaAlfonsia Registered User Posts: 825 Member
    Gosh, now I feel silly, you aren't even in 6th form. You are basically a sophomore. Sit a standardised test and come back when you are actually doing A levels. Ton of kids are great at O level and total brain fart at A level because it is a different thing altogether. I had your yr 11 as jr year in my head.
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 3,036 Senior Member
    Look at health issues very carefully. In the US, having insurance doesn't mean you don't have out of pocket costs. You likely will have deductibles and co-pays plus cost of prescriptions plus costs not covered by insurance.
  • MD0058MD0058 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    @‌thatllbeme
    Consider Johns Hopkins University:
    http://cogsci.jhu.edu/research/linguistics.html

They think very well of British A-levels, as far as I recall, and though they're expensive (and very selective) they award many merit scholarships.

For "ECs" perhaps you might emphasize your helping at your school's drama department by finding something very similar to do at your sixth form college. You could then show a sustained interest in drama, and I think most of the top-tier universities that you've listed and Johns Hopkins understand that British pupils do not have the unusually long and diverse list of activities in which American kids supposedly engage.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,604 Senior Member
    @MD0058, JHU awards very few merit scholarships, actually. About 1% of their student body get one.

They do give out fin aid, but I don't know if that would be enough in the OP's case.
  • MD0058MD0058 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    @PurpleTitan, Thanks for clarifying that. I just know a handful of Johns Hopkins graduates, all of whom happened to have benefited from handsome merit scholarships - clearly, it seems they were from the 1% that you mentioned.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,604 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    @MD0058, yeah, I only know of 2 people from my HS who went to JHU. Both got a big scholarship from there. The composition of the pool of people we know from JHU may be skewed.
This discussion has been closed.