Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

National Academy of future scientists and technologists

IMBZcandleIMBZcandle Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
i just received a mail from "National Academy of future scientists and technologists". This is totally some scam crap right? i felt like this was a scam right away when they asked me for $1500 for just 3 day camp. But then i found out that this camp is held on Harvard University and is sponsored by Buzz Aldrin. I also found out that i get to meet all the Nobel Prize physicists. Is it worth it to go?

Replies to: National Academy of future scientists and technologists

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,217 Super Moderator
    It seems it was just recently launched. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-academy-launched-to-inspire-and-motivate-future-scientists-and-technology-leaders-283200761.html That means there is no way to know if it "is worth it to go".
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    IMBZcandle wrote:
    Is it worth it to go?
    Do you want to meet Buzz Aldrin and the Nobel Prize physicists?
  • MommaJMommaJ Registered User Posts: 5,746 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    What could you possibly get out of a three day program even if it had a reasonable cost? It sounds absurd to me. And I see nothing on the website about a connection to Harvard--the website says the program is to be held at UMass Lowell, which I'm sure is happy to rent out its facilities in the summer.

The organization is run by the same people who run the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, which isn't exactly highly thought of on CC, and the National Young Leaders Conference, which the New York Times did an interesting article on. Do a search and see for yourself. The only thing you can be sure of is that some folks will be making big money out of this program, including Buzz Aldrin, for letting his name be used. I also note that the GPA requirement for participation is 3.5, so any suggestion in the marketing materials that the invitees are an elite group is simply false.

If we're lucky, we'll soon get a first-time poster waxing rhapsodic about how great this organization is and how amazing the program will look on his college applications...
  • jdrombojdrombo Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    This is an excellent breakdown of my impression of the packet my daughter received this afternoon. She's been getting recruitment letters from many major universities since taking her PSAT. When this packet arrived, I just assumed it was another recruitment packet. When I looked closer, it seems impressive with the names of the promoted speakers, but, it also comes with a rather expensive cost for a three day conference.

A big question was presented in the material: Will attending the congress help you gain admission to a competitive college? The answer is a long one, but the phrase that stands out, "...can inspire you to take the personal action necessary to become a much stronger candidate..." says no.

A 3.5 GPA to qualify? Add a bit more and you could even be in my daughter's IB Degree program!
  • collegemom2boyscollegemom2boys Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    My son received this invitation too. Are any of you aware of any similar but reputable programs?
  • AsianDoctorAsianDoctor Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    me and my friends got this letter... if we can get it, then it's not special. it just means that a million other people got this same letter .. big deal
  • hungryteenagerhungryteenager Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    My younger brother got this, as well. I told him that it wasn't worth it. That money would be better spent on a $1200 Herman Miller Embody office chair, the most comfortable chair in the world. Or a Titan X, whenever that launches.
  • MisterDobalinaMisterDobalina Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been on both sides of the coin with these conferences, as both a student and a staff advisor. I got a great experience out of going to a conference when I was in high school and I've enjoyed my time working for conferences. Good way to make some scratch over the summer.

That said, it's the most expendable type of income there is. It will not help you in any way on a college app. It will definitely a fun time, because the conferences need to at least get you that in order to assure people keep coming back.

P.S. I live in the area where this particular conference will be. Calling Lowell "Boston" is a total joke. It's about 40 minutes away. It's a sweet, reviving old mill town, but Boston it is not nor has it ever been.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,250 Forum Champion
    It is not a scam in the sense that you pay the money and there is a program.
    Now the question is, is it worth it? It is not an "honor", it is not something that college admissions committees care about one bit.
  • CCMotherCCMother Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    DANGER, DANGER!! BACK AWAY FROM THE INVITATION AND PUT DOWN YOUR CHECKBOOK!!!! Today is Thursday, June 25th and the conference is Sunday, June 28th. We are the parents of a very bright rising sophomore. Our child received the invitation and we fell for the whole thing; hook, line and sinker, and sent off the $1000 for him to attend. Let me tell you what you'll get if you send the money. First, you'll get about a million exciting emails and videos telling you how amazing it's going to be. What you won't get are the tickets, aka credentials, to get inside. When you try to inquire about not having them and when they'll be mailed and what to do about it, you'll get nothing. That's right... Nothing. No person to speak with. No return phone call. No return email. No face book reply. Nothing. And then when you go to the website, fb page, twitter page, you'll find that it hasn't been updated for almost a week. In other words, it's a money grab for anyone stupid enough (and yes, I hate to admit it but I'm one of those) to have sent the money. Oh, and one more thing.... Some of the original advertised speakers aren't even going to be there after all. I know we won't see our money again but I certainly hope this post, like the one from DelphiListener might help another family not get taken.
  • 3boystogo3boystogo Registered User Posts: 336 Member
    My son got one of these months ago. Filed it under "G" (for garbage). After reading the above post, I feel even better about the decision.
  • gdpherrersgdpherrers Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    My husband and son just returned from the Congress. He said it was the best experience of his life. He was inspired, rejuvinated, and awed by the speakers. We too were skeptical before we went but are so grateful that we did send him. He got more out of it than we could have ever expected. I hope you will all open your minds and give it a chance next year. My son has already asked to go again!
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    @gdpherrers The history of this organization's posts (overwhelmingly negative) on this website is that new members (one post) will jump on and submit a ravingly supportive post about how nice/inspiring/great experience it was. Please excuse us if we find ourselves skeptical again over your post. I find it hard to believe that you stumbled upon CC. Went through the hassle of creating a user profile and ID, searched out a post about Nat'l Acad of Future Scientists and felt compelled to gush about junior's fantastic experience -- all to enlighten us. Your lack of history on this site diminishes your credibility greatly, IMHO. Others may not be as skeptical as I am. If I'm mistaken, please accept my apology in advance and I will look forward to your ongoing posts about assisting your son's college journey. If we don't hear from you again, then let this be a warning to readers of posts about this org and its marketing methods....
This discussion has been closed.