Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Confused about NYU,NY ED II enrollment!

SharfuzSharfuz Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hello everyone,
I am an international student and I got accepted by NYU,NY in ED II for the CAS Economics Major. Now I received some scholarship, but that amount was a bit less than what I needed and I'll have to pay 10k more than what I was initally comfortable with. But since NYU was one of the places I wanted to go to the most, I enrolled already and paid my enrollment fee of $500.

Now today, I received my acceptance from Clark University where I was offered much more scholarship as I got accepted for the GSP. So my parents are pressurizing me to go for Clark Uni now. Will I be able to cancel my enrollment now, since that I have already paid the enrollment fees?

I did send an email to the financial aid office of NYU to review my aid package and consider an increase of $10k, but still no response. Should I still pursue the appeal for an initial increase now that I've already paid the enrollment fees?
Furthermore, I am also being advised by many that I should not withdraw my applications from other universities and wait to see if I get better offers, can I pursue this strategy and then later cancel my enrollment at NYU if I receive better offers? What kind of problem could it be if I dont withdraw my applications??

Thank You so much guys! Need urgent Support!!!!

Replies to: Confused about NYU,NY ED II enrollment!

  • jamesjunkersjamesjunkers Registered User Posts: 1,706 Senior Member
    NYU is notorious for giving poor financial aid. If you needed aid, you should not have applied to a binding position. I doubt they'll let you cancel your enrollment now, on account that you got a better offer. You can try, but it's unlikely. And you 100% must withdraw your other apps. The drawback of ED/ED II is that you cannot compare financial aid offers. If you do not withdraw your other apps, you face the possibility of NYU rescinding your application and telling every other school you applied to to reject you and or rescind your application.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,052 Super Moderator
    What happened was you violated the ED agreement with NYU. You were supposed to withdraw all other applications once you received your admission and FA offer and decided you could afford it. The fact you sent in an enrollment fee shows you believed that. Depending on how you worded your request for an FA review may put your admission in jeopardy (can you match this Clark U offer is a no go IMO).
    I am also being advised by many that I should not withdraw my applications from other universities and wait to see if I get better offers, can I pursue this strategy and then later cancel my enrollment at NYU if I receive better offers?
    I don't know who was making that recommendation but it was wrong. You were playing the ED game hoping for a better chance of admission and now you want to play the matching FA game. They are mutually exclusive.

    NYU may not be able to penalize you for not following the ED agreement except to drop your admission but it may very well reflect poorly on your school in future admission years.
  • KKmamaKKmama Registered User Posts: 3,001 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    There really isn't any support to offer you, unfortunately.

    You have put yourself into a very dangerous situation. If you told the people at NYU that you had a better offer from Clark, it is within their rights to rescind your acceptance to NYU and then notify Clark that you violated the ED agreement, which would mean that Clark will also rescind your acceptance.
  • collegebound1515collegebound1515 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    You knew that they weren't giving you the financial aid that you needed when you paid the enrollment fee. What you should have done was appealed your financial aid decision before you paid your enrollment deposit. You also broke your ED II contract when you did not withdraw your Clark app once accepted by NYU. Like the people above mentioned if you said anything to NYU about matching your Clark offer they will know that you broke your ED agreement. I'm pretty sure the ball is in their court at that point. They can either rescind your admission, match your FA(not going to happen), or not match the FA Clark has given you. I doubt that they would go as far as notifying Clark that you broke your ED agreement but it is definitely within their right to do so.

    Now if you just asked NYU for greater FA they're still probably not going to give it to you because you already paid your enrollment deposit which is basically saying "I'm ready to shell out the cash"
  • SharfuzSharfuz Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Thanx a lot everyone. Well after I have paid my enrollment fees at NYU I mailed other unis to withdraw my applications. I received Clark s decision the very next day I enrolled for NYU so that shouldnt be much of a problem then. I took time to think after receiving my NYU decision whether I can actually afford it for 4 years, so I delayed in accepting their offer anyhow. I guess Clark made me doubt my decision for a while, but after all its NYU!
  • SharfuzSharfuz Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    It took me time to decide I will be able to really afford NYU since the FA was lower than I expected. I am not required to withdraw other applications unless I confirm attending NYU first. Sadly Clark came in as soon as I enrolled for NYU. But thanx to everyone's opinions I am glad I decided not to listen to redundant adivices and withdrew all my apps. :)
  • SharfuzSharfuz Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I just hope NYU CAS will be worth the investment.
This discussion has been closed.