Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

criminal charges for admitted students

cwww2014cwww2014 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
do admitted students have to tell the college(s) they have been admitted to about any criminal charges that occurred after they were admitted?

Replies to: criminal charges for admitted students

• bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,517 Senior Member
    I could be wrong here.

But, for starters, your admission is contingent on that high school diploma. So, as of right now, I would say yes.

And I imagine that there's some fine print somewhere that says they need to know of any criminal charges between the time you receive your admissions letter and graduation from their institution.

Am I on the right track here??
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Yes you need to disclose this. The college (who needs to protect its community) must be made aware. Certainly, if the nature of the charges is minor, they'll welcome you and your 4 years of tuition with open arms. If not, then maybe not.
  • nycparent12nycparent12 Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    Wait, wouldn't it depend on whether the charges are dismissed? Or adjourned in contemplation of dismissal? Just because someone is charged, doesn't mean he or she committed the offense. I would suggest the student consult a lawyer.
  • glasssculptureglasssculpture Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    No! Unless you are a sex offender no!
  • TopTierTopTier Registered User Posts: 2,766 Senior Member
    @nycparent‌ (re post #3): I am not an attorney, however, it is my is my understanding that the principles you allude to (due process, innocent until proven guilty, and so forth) absolutely apply in our criminal justice system, but are not necessarily relevant to other societal elements. Private institutions have the prerogative to establish policies (as long as they are not contrary to statutes) that impose a greater ethical standard than does the law. Therefore, a school (especially a private one) can revoke an admission based only on an arrest.

To illustrate, everyone who has watched even an hour crime drama on television knows that Miranda rights apply in the criminal justice system ("you have the right to remain silent . . ."); however, this does not mean that your kid's private or parochial school can't demand: "tell us what happened, or we'll expel you." Further, BYU can have a zero-tolerance alcohol consumption policy that applies to students who otherwise could legally drink in Utah and UPS can randomly search employees leaving the job-site for stolen property without Fourth Amendment probably cause.

In sum, differing policies and standards apply to differing societal institutions; many people erroneously assume that the criminal justice system's tenets apply more-universally, but I believe they generally do not.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    A quick example of this would be a college sports team that would immediately remove an athlete from its roster based upon an arrest, if the coaching staff deemed it potentially damaging enough to the team's integrity.
  • TheDidacticTheDidactic Registered User Posts: 2,113 Senior Member
    Firstly, if you were charged, I think your guidance counselor would have to say something in the final report. That's their obligation.

I would contact a lawyer before YOU PERSONALLY 'fess up to anything so you know exactly what to say and how to word it. However, I'm pretty sure you would have to inform the colleges.
This discussion has been closed.