Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting a teacher recommendation from senior year teacher?

OMGMYLIFESUCKS1OMGMYLIFESUCKS1 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited February 2015 in College Admissions
Hi, I am a junior and rising senior next year. Since I transferred to new school as a junior, I had really tough time during my junior year; I was so quiet in class and had poor attendance even I managed good grades in all classes.

So my question is .. would it be ok to get rec from my senior year teacher? I will try my best to give great impression.. i realized it would be better to get generic rec than negative rec.. is there any way i can good rec from a teacher in short amount of time?

Replies to: Getting a teacher recommendation from senior year teacher?

• guineagirl96guineagirl96 Forum Champion Math/Computer Science, Forum Champion Richmond Posts: 3,855 Forum Champion
    Yes, I had a bad junior year, so I used two senior year teachers for my recs. One was my senior tech lab director (CS), who was also my 10th grade precalc teacher, and the other was my geosystems teacher. Usually, if you approach them at the beginning of the year and tell them your predicament, they will be understanding and watch you closer in class to be able to write a great rec.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,535 Senior Member
    The only problem with that approach is that it will be obvious that they really don't know you at all. The letters will have to be written very early in Senior year, and they won't be able to say much. And that will be obvious when the reader realizes that they're Senior teachers.

You say you've had good grades this year. Why not approach some of the teachers in the classes where you've done well?

I've written any number of letters for kids with spotty attendance, kids who were fairly quiet. But at least this year's teachers will be able to talk about how well you've done over the course of a whole year--- next year's teachers won't have that ability. Your teachers won't talk about your attendance-- they know enough to talk about the positives.

Ask if they'll be able to give you a positive recommendation. I think you'll be surprised at how many can say yes.
This discussion has been closed.