right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
1 DAY until our "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone. Ask your question now and JOIN US tomorrow at 12:00 pm ET. Registered members only!

Grading system in high school

vassan777vassan777 37 replies32 threads Junior Member
hi everybody! i'm a prospective international student applying to elite US colleges. however, the biggest burden that impedes my decision regarding the colleges i'm going to apply is my high school transcript. I take A level courses at one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Nepal. however, the school has set almost unrealistic cutoffs for an 'A', which is 75%. the teachers are really stringent in marking our papers. the maximum number of people who have an A in subjects like chemistry is maybe around 7 out of 90 people. i fall in the top 5-10% of my class but still have a B in chemistry. this fills my transcript with A,A,B,B, and C.The class average is around D (which doesn't get included in the transcript) will this hurt my chances of getting in or will its effect get neutralized by excellent SAT subject test scores? or should i notify the colleges personally about the grading system in my school?
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Grading system in high school

• skieuropeskieurope 40464 replies7514 threads Super Moderator
    should i notify the colleges personally about the grading system in my school?
    No. That is the responsibility of the counselor/administrator who fills out your Secondary School Report. "Elite US colleges" have admissions officers who are well-versed in reading applications from international applicants. Assume that they are familiar with course rigor at various schools in your country.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad 5726 replies119 threads Senior Member
    "the maximum number of people who have an A in subjects like chemistry is maybe around 7 out of 90 people...".

That seems about right. Maybe a little generous.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity