right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

SCEA acceptance rates at Yale, Harvard, and Princeton after Recruited Athletes

Join20Join20 52 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
I am a rising senior who is almost certainly (>90% chance) going to be applying to Yale SCEA, but I am considering Harvard and Princeton too. Even though I know the SCEA acceptance rates tend to be between 15-20%, I am aware that the higher SCEA acceptance rate can be partially explained due to ~160 recruited athletes entering in the early round. I am not a recruited athlete. Does anybody have a rough sense or give me an estimate of how many recruited athletes apply so I can have a better sense of what the SCEA acceptance rate is after recruited athletes?
Thanks
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: SCEA acceptance rates at Yale, Harvard, and Princeton after Recruited Athletes

• ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 3303 replies119 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    You need to strip out the legacies too. All special admits need to be removed. For an unhooked candidate the numbers are probably similar early action or regular decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • Join20Join20 52 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    edited August 2015
    @ClarinetDad16
    Do you know what % of the early admits are legacies, special admits, etc, on top of the recruited athletes? Can you estimate what the early admit rates are for them (hooked applicants) in the early round. How many apply early and how many get in?
    I am an unhooked applicant by the way just in case.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 3303 replies119 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    If I had to take an educated guess, the 16% early admit rate is really closer to 9% or so when all is said and done. That being said the strength of the EA pool is extraordinarily solid. So it's still incredibly tough to get to Yale EA.

They took in 2014 753 EA. Of those there are perhaps 200 athletes, 40 QuestBridge, 135 Legacies and then however many "special" admits. So it seems greater than 50% of the EA acceptances are hooked.
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 32920 replies3644 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 36,564 Super Moderator
    It would be nice if schools would provide all the information on the various sub-sets for admission but they really don't want to. There are some schools that don't even provide their Common Data Set because (IMO) they think it reveals too much.
    · Reply · Share
  • Slytherclaw12Slytherclaw12 432 replies54 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 486 Member
    What is a "special admit"? Like URM or a high profile donor case?
    · Reply · Share
  • Falcon1Falcon1 1919 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,950 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Here's something I wrote last week to another poster. I have since determined that the numbers are a little off but not that much so I'm not going to take the time to correct them.
    Here's a thought exercise for you to consider if you are applying SCEA to Harvard and you are a white, middle class applicant (just guessing for the purpose of this exercise).

About 10% of the spots will go to Internationals
    About 21% of the admittances will go to Asians
    About 21% will go to URM's
    About 23% will got to recruited athletes (okay, I'm not allowing for overlap, but anyway)
    About 15-25% will got to legacies (okay, again no allowance for overlap and I'm saying perhaps 25% because the total class will end up containing about 15% legacies and most will apply early).
    About 2% will go to developmental, children of celebrities, scions of mega-wealthy, or politically-connected candidates.
    about 3% will go to super-geniuses and prodigies in the performing arts

That means that not taking into account overlap, 95%- 105% of the spots are accounted for and anyone not fitting into the above categories is competing for the remaining spots.

I'm sure my math is all over the place but it still makes you stop and think.

If you assume a 20% overlap in those categories than 75%-85% of the spots are not available to the average unhooked white applicant.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity