Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Senior Year Schedule. How does it look?

newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
I'm in standard classes. (I've attend three high schools, & the second didn't offer AP's). My #1 school is a state school, not an Ivy.
I'm going to attend college for social work (MSW). Do you think this schedule is a good fit?

A Days (Usually 3 days a week):
English IV
SAT Prep ELA (M1)
SAT Prep Math (M2)
Computer Apr (S2)
Psychology (S1)
Marine Bio (S2)
Sociology

B Days (Usually 2 days a week):
Gr. 12 Health (M1)
Gr. 12 PE (M2-M4)
Computer App (S1)
Forensic Science (S2)
Financial Lit
Early Release (I'm dismissed after lunch)

Replies to: Senior Year Schedule. How does it look?

• newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Can a moderator move this to the pre-high school section?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,566 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    What's your GPA?
    You're not taking any foreign language, that may be a problem.
    I think I remember you want to attend Montclair, right?
    Your B days are very light, I'd take an academic class instead of Early release.
    What do you do with early release (job? internship?)
    edited August 2015
    @MYOS1634
    Yes, I do want to attend Montclair. I have three years of Spanish, although they only require two. They require 3 "extra classes" in any subject. I also have 2 extra social sciences, & 1 extra math, for a total of 4.

HS #2's Spanish III was equivalent to Spanish I at this school, as this school's mainly Hispanic. I received D's S2, because I'm so behind. I'd most likely fail Spanish IV.

My GPA is a 3.3, I'm aiming for a 3.4 this year.

We can do anything with early release. I've been trying to get a job for almost two years, with no luck. I had two, but they were both over-staffed. Hopefully, I'll find one this year.
    okay,sounds good for language. You made the right choice.
    I think Montclair and Stockton are good possibilities for you, as are CUNY CSI, Manhattanville, Rider, SUNY Oneonta, SUNY Fredonia, SUNY Cortland, SUNY Potsdam, even SUNY Albany as a reach.
    On B days, can you take an art class oranother elective, then be dismissed after the period after lunch, instead of right after lunch? That would still make it a bit more rigorous, but you'd still have slightly earlier release since you'd leave one period or two periods early, rather than two or three.
    While the HS lets you do whatever you want with your early release, colleges want you to do something productive with it. That's why I asked about a job. Early release without a job or occupation scheduled is a warning bell for colleges, which is why it'd be better if you took some kind of elective - don't you have cooking at your high school? It's a highly useful skill you'll need to live on your own during or after college. Or art history, to appreciate beauty throughout the centuries. Or choir if you can sing. Or woodworking, if you want to stand out.
  • trackandfield23trackandfield23 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Tbh, your schedule is really easy. You don't want to show senoritis this early. Take AP's and honor courses.
    I have an early release too but that is to go and take college classes on top of the 5 classes I already take at my high school.
    edited August 2015
    @MYOS1634 Thank you!
    I'm not a fan of NYS, & my mom wants me to stay local at first. I am considering CUNYs, as NYC is only 15 mins away. BMCC seems to be a good fit, Hunter is a reach. But, my family is low income, so in-state would probably be a better choice.
    We only have 4 periods + lunch, so I am missing the period after. Art classes are Block 1. My current HS doesn't have cooking, or any in-school ECs. The after-school clubs only meet monthly! I am considering yearbook, though, as I've done it before.

@trackandfield23 I can't take Honors or APs, see the OP. It's very hard to get caught up in standard classes, let alone APs. The senioritis part makes sense, though.
    Yes do get involved in ECs.
    SUNYs tend to not be too expensive for OOS (often the same cost as in-state for many other neighborhing states) so check out the NPCs.
    Private universities may offer you more financial aid.
    CUNY CSI is probably commutable, is a solid match for you, and is quite cheap.
    Look into some colleges that may offer financial aid like Moravian, Lebanon Valley... run the NPCs. Don't put all your eggs in the same basket: freshmen get the best financial aid so if you're lower income you need to run NPCs on many universities and apply to at least 4-5 so that you end up with a choice, with at last 2 affordable schools in the Spring.
This discussion has been closed.