right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Teacher Quitting

1golfer11golfer1 617 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 630 Member
Long Story Short: Last year, one of my teachers (for an AP Course no less) outright quit at winter break. For second semester, I ended up teaching one of the two class periods with lectures and by writing worksheets / practice tests. When we finally got a new teacher, there were only about 5 weeks before the AP Exam. Of the ~20 students who took the AP Exam, we averaged about a 4. My counselor will be mentioning this in her recommendation. Two questions:
(1) The replacement teacher wants to write a recommendation letter for me; however, I already have my core teachers and additional recommendations lined up. As such, the teacher intends to mail a letter labeled "Unsolicited" (i.e. I did not request him to send it) to the admissions offices of several of the colleges to which I am applying. Should I tell the teacher not to mail this letter?
(2) I am planning to use this experience to respond to the forth CommonApp prompt (Describe a problem you've solved...). Would this be a good thing to write about?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Teacher Quitting

• rdeng2614rdeng2614 1736 replies82 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    1. Some schools just don't want another rec so even if it's amazing, they might not even look at it.
    2. Great thing to write about, don't know how you managed to pull that off. It's incredible.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1golfer11golfer1 617 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 630 Member
    This is just a thought -- But I was thinking of using the CommonApp "Additional Info" section to provide a link to a Google Doc (or something similar) with some of the worksheets / tests I made. Thoughts on this? While I am afraid it might be a bit excessive, several of the documents I made were very good.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22407 replies2183 discussionsForum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,590 Forum Champion
    edited August 2015
    It is a good thing to write about but I don't think the school admissions officers want to look at your worksheets/tests. It is generally OK to have one additional recommendation if the person can talk about an aspect that won't be covered in your normal teacher recommendations. I believe you can put it through the common application system or let the teacher send it on his/her own as discussed in your post.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity