Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

W or B for Early College Student?

wsuyaywsuyay Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I am a senior in high school but also doing an early college program at my local university. I got a bad exam score in one of my college classes and will end up with a B in the class, but I can still withdraw with a W. Will a W look bad for college applications this fall? Or will a B look better for applicaitons? I am applying to go somewhere besides my local university, preferrably a selective school.

Replies to: W or B for Early College Student?

• NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 2,370 Senior Member
    You're dropping a class because you got a 'B'??

• wsuyaywsuyay Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Maybe I should clarify... Will having a B in a college course decrease my chances of getting into a selective college?
  • SlackerMomMDSlackerMomMD Registered User Posts: 3,094 Senior Member
    A W would look much worse than a B.

No one can say the B will "decrease" your chances of anything. Is an A better? Certainly but an A wouldn't necessarily guarantee admittance into a selective college.

A selective college is interested if you're challenging yourself and succeeding at the challenge.
  • AnEpicIndianAnEpicIndian Registered User Posts: 423 Member
    I'm also an early college student at a major state uni. Don't drop unless you're on the verge of failing or earning a D. If you drop, then colleges will likely think that you were about to fail the course and didn't want the "W" on your transcript. Plus, the W would become a part of your permanent record, and although it wouldn't factor into your GPA, it would look much worse than a B.

One piece of advice to keep in mind as an early college student: make decisions that reflect what you would do if you were a regular, marticulated full time student.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,365 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    This is the reason so many students are miserable and suicidal. They view perfection as the only standard worth pursuing and fall to pieces when they fall short. They assume that all of their "competition" will be perfect also.

Do the best that you can. Get enough sleep. Deal with the consequences. What will be will be.

BE HAPPY!

It is inconceivable to me to drop a course while earning a B. Welcome to the human race.

Apply to college as yourself. You'll get in where you get in.
This discussion has been closed.