Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will taking college courses while still in High School look good on a transcript

SanDJourneySanDJourney Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hello, I am currently in my Junior year of High School In Louisville, Kentucky. My school is only one of two in all of Kentucky that has a program that allows students to go on campus and take college classes just like I was if I was actually in college. We are partnered with Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) and so far I have been taking three college courses (ENG 101, Hum 120, & FYE 105). If I stay in this program for the rest of my Junior year and Senior year I can potentially have an associates degree when I graduate High School. I will have to take more classes in the spring and take a few during summer but if I do I will have enough college credit hours for a degree.

With all that said, my main question is, how good will that look when I go to apply to colleges? Even if I don't get the full degree, I will only need maybe 2-3 more classes (3 credit hours each) to have a full associates degree. My school doesn't offer any AP courses but we do have plenty of duel credit courses and the on-campus experience (which I am in). Obviously AP courses look good but if I almost have a full associates degree coming out of High School, I would think college admissions would like that. Without the full degree I know not all of the credits will transfer over (unless I go to the University of Louisville) but even then I would think that the would like it that I have real college experience, not just a duel credit class. We get treated no different then the real college kids. Actually, most of our professors don't even know that we are High School kids.

I have not taken the ACT or SAT yet but I will be taking the ACT in December and then again in March to try to get a better score. I really want to go to the University of Miami (Hurricanes) but I know it's a long shot unless I get really good ACT scores and a good GPA. I only take two High School classes when I come back to the school so my GPA should be pretty good by the end of the year (as long as I do good in college).

Replies to: Will taking college courses while still in High School look good on a transcript

This discussion has been closed.