Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Benefits of Going to 'Exploring College Options'

Anonymoose3Anonymoose3 Registered User Posts: 845 Member
edited September 2015 in College Admissions
To give a quick rundown, Penn, Harvard, Georgetown, Stanford, and Duke are coming to a hotel conference room near me at some point. I'm tired, I've got a lot of homework, and I've already finalized my college application list (and yes, I'm applying to one+ of those five schools).

What would be the benefits of my attending? I've heard it does not affect my application/chances of admissions, so why would I attend?

Replies to: Benefits of Going to 'Exploring College Options'

• Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,688 Senior Member
    Because you want to be the kid in the room who asks the most obsequious question during the question-and-answer period, or dominate the rep's time during breakout session. You're fine not going. If you're on the road to writing and submitting, just spend your time doing that.
  • Anonymoose3Anonymoose3 Registered User Posts: 845 Member
    @Waiting2exhale - So this won't affect my standing at all, right? I RSVP'ed a while ago (through an automated online thing), and I'm concerned that, if nothing else, that will look bad if I rescind it now.
  • Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,688 Senior Member
    You're not rescinding so much as realizing your schedule does not allow it, and not showing. There are going to be others who do not show, even after the RSVP has been sent. There is probably an option to submit your change. Check and see.
  • powercropperpowercropper Registered User Posts: 1,610 Senior Member
    Have you checked the website of the one college you are planning to apply to? To see if they keep track of demonstrated interest and use that as part of their admission decision? If demonstrated interest does count, you should go and at least sign in to get counted as being present. Make a quick introduction to an admissions counselor, and figure out a quick exit strategy.
  • Anonymoose3Anonymoose3 Registered User Posts: 845 Member
    @powercropper - I didn't mean one I meant 'one or more', sorry!

And I thought that, of those five schools, none of them kept track of demonstrated interest.
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 10,126 Senior Member
    And I thought that, of those five schools, none of them kept track of demonstrated interest.
    Think or know?
  • powercropperpowercropper Registered User Posts: 1,610 Senior Member
    Who is going to read your application and decide if you get into one of these schools? Could an admissions counselor you meet at this event take a liking to you and advocate for your admission with the decision makers?

These are huge schools, and so many applicants, so it may not matter if you show up or not. But if I could visit with multiple admissions counselors in one night in my city, I would probably make the extra effort.
This discussion has been closed.