right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Blackmailed from my college application essay writer

Replies to: Blackmailed from my college application essay writer

• NCmom14NCmom14 133 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    The problem is that you have broken school codes already, but I don't need to tell you that. BUT the best lesson can be learned from big mistakes. Here's an idea. Call an admissions Officer at a school the same caliber of the schools you applied to and tell them what happened. They know the pressure kids are under these days. I'm going to assume you'll never take a shortcut again! Ask how they would handle it. You could even talk about the lesson learned in future essays as long as you are honest. Taking your lumps shows much more integrity than paying a blackmailer. Did your tutor suggest he/she write the essay? In your gut did you know it was wrong? Do not pay the blackmailer, it will tarnish your entire college experience. After getting their advice you may consider proactively contact an admissions officer where you applied, attaching an essay about what happened and what to do. Life lessons are hard, but owning up to them shows
    · Reply · Share
  • powercropperpowercropper 1640 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,706 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    No matter what you decide to do about the ransom, DO NOT USE HIS ESSAY. Start from scratch, use own your own words, and make sure your entire application is completely honest. No exaggerations, no fake ECs, no gray areas at all.

Let him know you are not using his essay.
    edited November 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • NCmom14NCmom14 133 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    @whatshappening what you are reading in the thread shows different approaches to life. Kids all make stupid choices at one time or another. It's how you take responsibility for those mistakes that help define who you are. Ask yourself what the right answer is then do it. You'll regret not trusting yourself later.

What you care about is how this effects your applications. Unless someone on this forum is an admissions officer we don't know. Call one or two, tell them how you want to address it then ask what they would do.
    edited November 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    Kids all make stupid choices at one time or another. 
    I did a terrible mistake of letting my parents ask my former tutor to write college essays for me.

Sure, kids make mistakes. But in this case, the parents who should have known better, failed miserably.

· Reply · Share
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 3303 replies119 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    Delete the essay and write new ones. They need to be in your voice and tell your story. Shame on you for paying someone to do that for you. You are not the victim. And don't seek revenge on him. Move on and start from scratch.
    · Reply · Share
  • Regulus7Regulus7 166 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    @NCmom14 Yes, lawyers and money fix problems B-) Thats what they are there for. A contract of services defines the relationship the OP had with the tutor and prevents future blackmail risk. I agree that he should not use the tutor's essay, but the question here is how does the OP move forward with the application process and isolate future damages. Doing the 'honest' thing and withdrawing leaves him exposed to future blackmail threats and if the tutor is particularly tenacious then the risk could re-appear later when the OP is in college and the allegations could potentially be a risk he would have to face at that time.
    · Reply · Share
  • saffysmumsaffysmum 215 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    @NCmom14 the parents had the tutor write the essay, this was done at their request. Integrity would appear to be in short supply in the household. The life or death scenario that has become college admissions is to say the least unfortunate. For the student to have that pressure and have parents who are advising that the best way to achieve success is through dishonesty is a blueprint for disaster. Children want to please their parents, trust and look to them for guidance. It is painful that the student has been placed in this situation by those closest to him.
    @whatshappening what have your parents said about how they are planning on combating this attempt at extortion?
    · Reply · Share
  • PeriwinklePeriwinkle 3403 replies105 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I'd go to the police. Blackmailers aren't known to stop. This will always loom over your head. Presenting others' work as your own on your application could be cause for expulsion or for your degree to be rescinded. The risk doesn't stop at admission.

I agree with T26E4. Consult an attorney. Withdraw the app, and the essay.

Write your own essays. Apply to a different list of colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • ADonkeyFlyADonkeyFly 90 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    Paypal me a cool 300 and an address and all your problems will dissapear ;)
    I agree with another poster here, apply to a list of different schools that aren't like the ones you're applying to right now. Even if they aren't Top 40, it's better than having to go to CC or pick up a trade. Unless you want to do that. No shame there, I've considered becoming an electrician if my parents didn't force me into college.
    edited November 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • Jamrock411Jamrock411 499 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 499 Member
    Call his bluff. Don't pay him a dime. Lets face it, if he calls these schools and report that he wrote these essays, his days as a tutor is done (can he even prove he wrote these essays, as oppose to editing them?). Just tell him that your family will get the police involved, as blackmailing is a serious criminal offense. Sound as if this individual is on crack! This might be something he has done before and possibly gotten away with it.
    · Reply · Share
  • whatthewhatwhatthewhat 143 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    @whatshappening in someways you are very lucky that the tutor revealed himself so early. Imagine if he had done this your third year in college!

That said I think you should follow MYOS1634 advice. You and your parents are learning the age old truth: live by the sword die by the sword.
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    ^^^^ This is a good point. The fraud you've already committed (submitting to ED school) can be quickly retracted (like MYOS suggests). But if you HAD been admitted, your fraud would have grown by leaps and bounds and your options to wiggle free would be non-existent.

Show your parents this thread if need be.
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 2015
    @austinmshauri Hi there - I do not think he should be punished, I may be naive. I would hope that Admissions Officers would not all disqualify him (or her) and potentially allow him to resubmit new essays. I'd like to see a solution that allows him to still apply to the schools of his choice without using the tainted essays. Maybe that's not possible, but options that allow this student to retract the essays, take responsibility for the poor choice AND still be able to submit new essays to his current schools would be ideal. I guess the next best thing is to withdraw submitted applications, then update the essays and apply to other colleges.

The "taking your lumps" was intended as any alternative chosen instead of paying the blackmailer. It's hard to do the right thing. I hope an Admissions Officer would try and support he/her. Again, maybe I'm being naive...
    edited November 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22477 replies2196 discussionsForum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,673 Forum Champion
    This is why it is crazy to lie/cheat on an application -- you never know when it will come back to bite you.

My best suggestion is to write your own essay and apply to some schools that are not on the common app. using your own essay.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11255 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,285 Senior Member
    You have a chance to turn this around now. Be honest from now on, take MYOS's advice.

It's not worth it to have this hanging over you.

And yes I agree, it's good that you know now and still have time to apply to lots of great schools, with your own essay!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity