right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Learn from Amy Nelson from International Scholarship and Tuition Services and Denise Trusty from Morehead State how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes. Join us tomorrow at 5pm ET. Register and ask your question NOW.

"Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

Replies to: "Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

• dsi411dsi411 2232 replies91 threads Senior Member
    It's also a race.
    · Reply · Share
  • NedconeNedcone 359 replies5 threads Member
    @epiphany Asian is indeed a race.
    As defined by the government of the U.S., the racial groups are: White, Black or African-American, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian or Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.

You may qualms against it as it groups most of the people from an entire continent (Many peoples of the Middle East are counted in the White category) but that is because race is inherently irrational as an idea. Alternatively, you may be confusing race with ethnicity, of which I believe only Native Hawaiian crosses over as both.
    · Reply · Share
  • epiphanyepiphany 8405 replies170 threads Senior Member
    I'm not confusing anything with anything else, but you are confusing the U.S. government as the source of all biological facts.
    · Reply · Share
  • dadak99dadak99 35 replies18 threads Junior Member
    Quick thing.
    If I choose "prefer not to answer" for the race section, but my name and the activities that I participate in "reveal" that I belong to that race, would the admissions office change my "race" to whatever I am?
    · Reply · Share
  • coffeeaddictedcoffeeaddicted 420 replies18 threads Member
    Thanks so much @XCjunior2016 and @Nedcone . I think ultimately I identify as American, which could mean any mix of things, and that checking off a box for me doesn't necessarily mean being entirely connected to or having the appearance of that race, since ultimately I'm identified as a combination of multiple races, despite the color of my skin. This makes sense, and as interracial marriages are increasingly common, there are increasingly more people like me and my siblings.

And culturally, I would probably be white (we ate lasagna for Christmas dinner although we usually eat turkey haha), but I also share connections with my mom's black side of the family that could culturally identify me as black, and some more distant connections with her Filipino side.
    · Reply · Share
  • MexitalianMomMexitalianMom 56 replies0 threads Junior Member
    My son is 50% Hispanic from my side of the family. I was born in Calif and my children in Florida. We are 100% American. I have always considered myself white-hispanic, and now my children do as well(husband is Italian). I speak Spanish, as my parents were born in a different country, but my children do not. My children have been raised with less "hispanic" culture than I. They have no problem self identifying as hispanic americans, although they do not necessarily look like they are. I agree that as people begin to marry different races and nationalities, checking boxes will become more difficult to do.
    · Reply · Share
  • AmberLee2016AmberLee2016 43 replies12 threads Junior Member
    I've heard Asians are being discriminated against by the adcoms :(
    · Reply · Share
  • classicalmamaclassicalmama 2244 replies17 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    The vaguely referenced Princeton University study uses statistics from 1993 and 1997. Hard to see its relevance to today's students. I'm glad Harvard has published some current statistics to counter this "evidence."
    https://www.princeton.edu/~tje/files/webOpportunity Cost of Admission Preferences Espenshade Chung June 2005.pdf
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • NedconeNedcone 359 replies5 threads Member
    That sure is a 230 point gap.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13231 replies247 threads Senior Member
    Ah gotcha.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity