Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

"Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

Replies to: "Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

• classicalmamaclassicalmama Registered User Posts: 2,261 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    The vaguely referenced Princeton University study uses statistics from 1993 and 1997. Hard to see its relevance to today's students. I'm glad Harvard has published some current statistics to counter this "evidence."
    https://www.princeton.edu/~tje/files/webOpportunity Cost of Admission Preferences Espenshade Chung June 2005.pdf
  • NedconeNedcone Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    That sure is a 230 point gap.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,293 Senior Member
    Ah gotcha.
  • ShouldBeWorkingShouldBeWorking Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    edited January 2016
    Those Harvard numbers certainly don't advance the score disparity of the previous story, do they? That's very encouraging news, if it is representative of admission statistics at other selective colleges. I'm happy that Harvard students seem to gain entrance on merits rather than prejudice. I stand corrected. Am I the only one who has been led down this erroneous path?
  • NedconeNedcone Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    The point should be why one would view a gap that amounts to 6-12 questions on average is a significant gap on a test with hundreds of questions.
  • SAYSAY Registered User Posts: 839 Member
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/in-dc-schools-the-racial-gap-is-a-chasm-not-a-crack/2016/01/01/7cfc33e6-afe9-11e5-b711-1998289ffcea_story.html

Theses schools are all run by progressives and people of color so blaming racism in the schools is silly. No program can make all people equal in academics or their speed in the 40 yard dash.