· Reply · Share
  • lostaccountlostaccount 5330 replies90 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well this one is none too obvious!
    · Reply · Share
  • wisteria100wisteria100 4209 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @GMTplus7 Lol. Thanks for a good laugh
    · Reply · Share
  • lostaccountlostaccount 5330 replies90 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    So if someone's ancestors came from an Japan 6 generations ago they are still "Asian"? How about if your ancestors came from Ireland 6 generations ago. Are you Irish? What is it about "Asian" that results in that being continued whereas those with Irish ancestors identify as American?
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14748 replies986 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have always considered myself Irish-American even though my ancestors came over in steerage 150 years ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14268 replies297 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    So if someone's ancestors came from an Japan 6 generations ago they are still "Asian"?

Yes, they're still racially asian. But if their ancestors moved to Peru, then they are asian hispanic, like Alberto Fujimori, former Prime Minister of Peru, is.

Hispanic is the only category w arbitrary rhyme & reason.

· Reply · Share
  • XCjunior2016XCjunior2016 536 replies28 threadsRegistered User Member
    @coffeeaddicted I would check off all 3. That said, you could check off any combination of those. Its your decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • coffeeaddictedcoffeeaddicted 420 replies18 threadsRegistered User Member
    @XCjunior2016 so would you not call it gaming the system if I only checked off white and African American? I'm probably checking all three though.
    · Reply · Share
  • XCjunior2016XCjunior2016 536 replies28 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited December 2015
    Not if you genuinely feel connected to the black community and don't consider yourself Asian. Race is more than just your skin color. How is your family affected by race? That has an impact on you as well, even if you're light skinned. Another judge might be culture (what are you eating for Christmas dinner, if you celebrate the holiday at all?). Trust what feels honest.

I'm almost entirely white and identify as white but I don't judge people who identify differently at all. Good luck!!

@coffeeaddicted
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • NedconeNedcone 359 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    @coffeeaddicted I personally would check all three or the one that gives you the most advantage.
    I see it as this. Race is equal parts appearance and genetics as well as being entirely made up on a macro scale. As such, if you were to only click one (if you have the option of multiple, mixed, or other) you would deny a part of your make up.
    Now onto advantage. Race, as we recall, is a very ingrained social concept. And defining yourself as African-American when you are in order to get a possible advantage is not at all unethical or dishonest. After all, it's not as if you're an Afrikaaner attempting to do this. Especially considering how biased (with legacy, income inequality, school district inequality in funding and teachers, differences in extracurricular options, information access et cetera). Your concerns about not having a struggle because of your appearance, while good (showing that you're contemplative) are unfounded. Not every black person struggles with race in their life so much. Even in my case where I have faced many many cases of racism, I still know I have not struggled nearly as much as others. And the black community is not a monolith.

In the end, it is your choice. As long as you are qualified for the particular university, I see no problem using any legal and truthful means to get an advantage. No matter how you define youself for college, good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • epiphanyepiphany 8405 replies170 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Because Asian is a race.
    No. Asian is an adjective describing a continent.
    · Reply · Share