right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is this a Outstanding EC?

StudyfordaysStudyfordays 6 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
Hi! I have a question on this extracurricular I helped my dad sell six million dollars worth of real estate properties which was only four houses. I was wondering if that counted as a big extracurricular for ivy leagues. I have also interned for his real estate company ( non-paid) and the owner of one of the biggest real estate investment groups in my area. I got the deals by door knocking and cold calling so I did the work of getting the client but my dad just did the paperwork and offers as I'm not old enough to do it. Would this be considered a big extracurricular. Thanks!

I'll probably write my essay on it since that year my dad got laid off his job of being a comp science engineer and write about the financial struggles and how I doorknocked to kickstart his business and help my family. I'll talk about how I spent my weekends cold calling and door knocking for hours on weekends instead of doing normal things and how it forced me to change and adapt to the situation and as a person. I also will talk about my passion and desire to help by attending real esate conferences and monthly meetings during the summer of 8th grade!
18 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is this a Outstanding EC?

• Madeline25Madeline25 514 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 525 Member
    I definitely think that's a super intresting and unique EC that will look good on your app!
    · Reply · Share
  • lostaccountlostaccount 5319 replies90 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,409 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Your EC can certainly make for an interesting essay, etc. The challenge you might have is to avoid it looking like you are simply well connected (to your dad) who is a top realtor in a wealthy area. So you would want to make sure to emphasize the aspects of your EC that reflect your own efforts and initiative. If I were reading the essay, you'd have to convince me that people with million dollar homes or planning to buy them would find a 16 or 17 year old knocking on the door and offering help compelling-without the assistance of a parents to set it all up to give a certain appearance. I think I am pretty typical in terms of interpretation of essays so I imagine others would be similarly skeptical. There are hundreds of students who, on paper, started charities and sealed amazing deals in businesses often their parents set them up and retained control of the strings. And in such cases, I'd rather accept the student who had to work at Pizza Hut from 9th grade onward. Naturally from your essay I can't tell what level of involvement you had but my response is likely typical so you will want to consider that in how you describe this EC. There are far more brilliant high school senior entrepreneurs than there are brilliant college freshman entrepreneurs.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • StudyfordaysStudyfordays 6 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @lostaccount Yea I could see that happening. I'll probably write my essay on it since that year my dad got laid off his job of being a comp science engineer and write about the financial struggles and how I doorknocked to kickstart his business and help my family. I'll talk about how I spent my weekends cold calling and door knocking for hours on weekends instead of doing normal things and how it forced me to change and adapt to the situation and as a person.
    · Reply · Share
  • StudyfordaysStudyfordays 6 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @anxiousenior1 But I just wanted to know if this a big EC or a small one. Thank you for reply!
    · Reply · Share
  • gphi777gphi777 61 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    No. Harvard is an educational institution not a real estate brokerage firm. I would try and come up with a topic closer to some field of learning
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4605 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,655 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    It can be, if the schools believe it. Many kids claim such internships in their daddy or uncle's firm, so they are wary of such stories. If you want to be believed, discuss it in your essay and make sure you don't over-do it. For instance, I'm not believing that anyone sells real estate door to door...so you may want to explain that better and succinctly in your essay.
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    · Reply · Share
  • aposnovaaposnova 85 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    I think it counts as an extracurricular. Extracurricular is anything you do besides school - even babysitting your siblings would have worked if you wanted to make an essay out of it.
    Also, trying to "come up" with something usually ends up in a pretty mediocre essay. If this work really changed you, taught you something, and if you enjoyed doing it, I don't see why not count it as an extracurricular and write an essay on it.
    Be wary, though. Harvard's EC essay has a limit of 150 words which may not be enough to tell the full story in your case.
    · Reply · Share
  • imabrownkidimabrownkid 8 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Given that you are just applying to all Ivy League schools and have no idea why you like specifically Brown, knowing Brown, you will probably get rejected.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8973 replies485 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Ha! AN, not A. Very hard to take you seriously when you can't put the proper two letter article in front of an adjective. And BTW, I don't think it's impressive. Your focus is on the $6million. Do some volunteer work for $0. Much more impressive.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
    @Lindagaf I appreciate your input. I have created a transition program for fifth and sixth graders across my city and made it run by students themselves.
    · Reply · Share
    bump and @HRSMom I knocked door to door on older houses/torn down houses to ask if they were selling them. Would it be more useful to send in an article the local newspaper wrote about me?
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4605 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,655 Senior Member
    Perhaps. I think you just need to make sure you are saying it right. That is a plausible way to buy propery, but not to sell it. Those details are important.
    · Reply · Share
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB 2036 replies226 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,262 Senior Member
    I think it's an interesting part of who you are, but not so sure about presenting it as an extracurricular. I agree with the above poster who cautioned you to be sure not to make it sound like your dad set you up so you could look good.
    · Reply · Share
    @HRSMom @GnocchiB Thanks for your feedback. What I did was I door knocked on those door and basically I presented information about the housing market and then asked them if they were interested in selling their house. If they were I would setup them up with an appoinment with my dad. I also made flyers and handed them door to door in my local area. Would it help mentioning my dad at the time got layoffed from his initials job as a computer engineer so I did this to support my family as my mom for awhile was our only source of income?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32692 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,042 Senior Member
    Wait a sec. You have yet to write your essay?

Lots of kids think anything associated with big dollar numbers they can quote has some special sheen. Try to remember the app is about you, not Dad. And that adcoms want to see how what you present is relevant to the skills and attributes they want in the class.

It's an EC, same as any kid who worked with a family member. If you have the writing skills, it may turn out to be a nice tale. But my, you are running out of time for Ivys. Think fast if this topic shows what adcoms need to see.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8973 replies485 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    This is a job, and the $6 million is irrelevant. It is good that you worked to help support your family, but is there anything to back up your story? Has your counselor written anything about it in your rec? Many many kids work to help support their families. I think you need to be very careful here. No college is going to snap you up because your fathers business made $6million. You seem to have trumped up what is essentially a door to door sales job. The most important aspect of your story is that you did it to support your father's business, and your family. That is the part of the story that should be your focus. Even if you didn't get paid, it was still work.
    · Reply · Share
    @lookingforward Thanks will definetely keep that in mind. I'm a junior right now so I will be applying next year and I'll focus my essay on that.
    @Lindagaf I'll probally try to send in an article the local newspaper wrote about me and about the father's business. My father has made separate money from me. he has gotten his own deals so I'm not counting his deals which I did not partake in. And to clarify to everyone I didn't make six million, only 2.5% commision from the 6 million. I have just got six million in deals. And thank you for your advice, I will definetely take that in mind.
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    The price of the houses is irrelevant. The activity probably counts as much as helping your parents in a mom & pop conveniece store.

edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity