right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Writing about College Visit in Essay

AsianHopeAsianHope 62 replies75 threads Junior Member
I am writing about when I visited a college with my family one time. I did not sign up for an official tour; it's an open campus so we just walked in and toured. Is it ok to write about touring the campus even if I never signed up for a campus tour? Since I never signed up, they wouldn't have my name down for visiting...
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Writing about College Visit in Essay

• shawnspencershawnspencer 3121 replies12 threads Senior Member
    Yes it should be fine. I would caution you however on the content of the essay itself. Coming from a person that I wrote quite a few of these, certain colleges don't want to hear about why their campus is awesome and amazing because they know that already and have read a billion of those, but they want to hear why you would be a good fit and addition to the college. So I would caution you in the sense that I would not focus on how the buildings are super nice or how seeing the campus has made it your dream school, but it should be more substantive than that which may or may not come across in an essay about a campus visit because many people have likely visited the college as well
    · Reply · Share
  • nugraddadnugraddad 1325 replies13 threads Senior Member
    shawnspencer - FTW!
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14268 replies297 threads Senior Member
    The adcomms want to learn about YOU.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity